Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Multiple DC motors — Parallax Forums

Multiple DC motors

halfblinddadohalfblinddado Posts: 59
edited 2009-05-06 16:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I am trying to run 5 DC motors (fwd and reverse) only from the basic stamp. I don't need speed control just on and off. I figured out how to do it with relays for each motor but it looks like I will need 10 relays to get this to work.

I know there must be a better way. Any suggestions?

Attached is a schematic of one motor and relays.

Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"Everything is working so why do we pay him?"

"Nothing is working so why do we pay him?"

Comments

• ACKACK Posts: 12
    edited 2009-05-06 00:35
    You should be able to do it with 5 relays to make it go forward and reverse. Remember that you will need transistors and resistors to make it work with the board.

I used the relays from this place: http://www.goldmine-elec.com/ Item number:G14951

I wired the relays up using this guy's schematic: www.homebuiltrovs.com go to How to's, then scroll to the bottom for "Relay Wiring for the Electronically Challenged"

I used 5 relays to power 5 motors on my ROV, and these DC motors were all bilge pumps.
  • halfblinddadohalfblinddado Posts: 59
    edited 2009-05-06 15:23
    ACK,

Thank you for this information. That site is excellent. I thought about doing this with an H-bridge. I have several motor controllers so I will try that.

-Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything is working so why do we pay him?"

"Nothing is working so why do we pay him?"
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-05-06 16:55
    Parallax also makes a servo controller board but can only handle servo type motors I think. There is an excellent H bridge on sale on ebay now. I just got 3. Only $7 4 amp 48v max. properly heat sinked of coarse. L6203. See my post under robotics in this forum