Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp versus SX chip. — Parallax Forums

basic stamp versus SX chip.

whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
edited 2009-07-12 05:19 in BASIC Stamp
Could anyone explain the disadavantage of using the SX instead of the Basic Stamp ? The SX is so much cheaper I wonder what it has that the SX does not ?

jumpin.gif

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-05-05 09:21
    thewhiteoxe said...
    Could anyone explain the disadavantage of using the SX instead of the Basic Stamp ? The SX is so much cheaper I wonder what it has that the SX does not ?

jumpin.gif
    The SX has everything that the SX has. Parallax is kinda funny that way.·tongue.gif

Here is a "Getting Started·Guide" that briefly explains the purposes of the three product lines:

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/270/Default.aspx

The SX is more powerful than the Stamps in terms of speed, having interrupts, and a few other things, but you have to be a hell of a lot smarter to use them. You also have to buy either an SX Blitz or an SX Key to program them. That's a one-time purchase - you don't need one for each SX chip you get (just like with the Prop Plug and the Propeller), but it does raise the costs of getting into SX quite a bit.

Post Edited (sylvie369) : 5/5/2009 9:28:58 AM GMT
  • whiteoxewhiteoxe Posts: 794
    edited 2009-05-05 09:35
    Thanks for that. Also I notice all the books and kits you can get for the basic stamp. Whereas I see nothing like that for the SX. But you mention cost. The SX seems to be very cheap compared with the $89 for a basic stamp. Im actually considering going back to picaxe. , at least ill I have a better grasp of electronics.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-05-05 12:02
    For what its worth, there is no other technical site on the web that offers more forum help as you will find here on this site.

Start with a BS2 and work your way up as required. You won't be sorry.

What kind of project are you interested in? Someone might be able to help out.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-05 17:14
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/sx/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/363/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2009-05-07 14:39
    Since the SX chip is the processor on the BS2P series of chips, there is nothing a BS2p can do that can't be done with an SX - it just may be a little harder to program and require a lot more planning. I would suggest you download some of the materials listed at http://www.parallax.com/tabid/460/Default.aspx
    You might also look at the SX/B forum. SX/B was developed as a bridge from PBasic to Assembly for the SX.
  • fishheadfishhead Posts: 5
    edited 2009-05-08 01:50
    I shall explain my project which is not original and there are companies already providing what I originally ignorantly thought was my idea.

I intended to approach a weights/workout Gym. I was going to have a keypad on every machine in the gym. THe clients were to punch in their membership number, then the amount of weight they were lifting and then the number of reps to be performed.

The keypad would transmit this data to a transceiver to a computer. The PC would upload this data to a website. The client could then logon and look at graphs generated by the data they had punched in via the key pads.

I had this prototype working with cheap J-Car UHF chips. I would not use J-car chips again as they are cheap and the range is about 20feet. Also the picaxe chips I used did not have enough memory to store all the keypad inputs.

I am a total novice.

I would prefer to stick with the basic stamp and the SX chip. but I will need a partner or someone willing to help me.

I can program in C#, Java and VB.Net, and basic.

Regards,

Mike Lynch.!

Thanks for your time.
    regards,
    Mike.Lynch
    Queensland Australia

Post Edited (fishhead) : 5/8/2009 1:57:12 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-05-08 04:04
    fishhead said...
    I am a total novice.
    fishhead said...
    I can program in C#, Java and VB.Net, and basic.

How does that work?

Whatever solution you go with (Propeller, BS2, SX), they is always plenty of support on the forum for those who are willing to put in an effort.
    edited 2009-07-12 02:02
    How does it work ? Well to clarify if you ur asking is that it is not so much writing code that phases me but I was having strife understanding different types of transistors, resistors,relays etc etc. Took me a week to get the pic axe 08M to trip a relay to power a motor out of a cars windscreen wiper.

So anyway I just want to thank everyone that replied. I haven't been doing much though when i begin again Ill just take it easy and get there little bit by little bit [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • pwillardpwillard Posts: 321
    edited 2009-07-12 02:36
    Giving total novices a basic stamp and a proto board with let's say the "STAMPWORKS" manual or the what is a microcontroller series is a great way to initiate a novice. You will quickly be an ex-novice by doing the examples... or at least just reading what the documents have to say.

Literally everything you learn with a Stamp makes working with the SX easier. You may end up "going into production" with the SX.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

There's nothing like a new idea and a warm soldering iron.
    edited 2009-07-12 04:39
    That's very encouraging. Ive moved to three different towns since my first post and my 'stuff' hasn't caught up with me yet! I guess one fairly important thing I have to learn is what's all that electronic wizardry on a basic stamp.
    When I used the picaxe chips for a couple of months I just pushed the chip onto a breadboard with a stereo conector a couple of resistors and hooked up a 3volt supply and started programming it.
    It was just a chip! I ran out of programming room and ram but it was simple to get going.
    So while I am here Ill ask...... Once you have programmed a Basic Stamp on the BOE can you easily plug it onto a breadboard and run your so very simple project , I probably haven't read enough yet to ask a more informed question but anyway now I've done it [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2009-07-12 05:19
    The BasicStamp uses an SXchip in the more advanced products. For the beginner, it offers a complete system that requires no added voltage regulator or crystal. So for people that are new to electronics, it is much easier to deploy and get started.

The SX has Basic programing and also Assembler programing available. One can save $$$$ by soldering one's own boards, but rarely will get the small package of the BasicStamp or the convienance of the BasicStamp as a module.

Generally, one starts out with the BasicStamp and when one learns more they move up to the SX and the Propeller as they needs and ability grow. Some of us just buy all three and explore.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ain't gadetry a wonderful thing?

aka G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse] 黃鶴 ] in Taiwan