Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spark Fun 434 Mhz radios — Parallax Forums

Spark Fun 434 Mhz radios

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
edited 2009-05-03 18:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I just bought a pair of Sparkfun 434 Mhz radios today via the book store for NYU. (They sell scads of electronic items for ITP next door its a school of independent thought and project designing there.) jumpin.gif

Basically one of the suggestions for them is for using the PIC based gadgets that're found on the Sparkfun website. www.sparkfun.com but since it gives the examples using a BASIC dialect I immediately thought of the BASIC Stamp, probably in my case a Stamp One since that's what is living here.

Since ideas on using them happen to be rather sparse even coming from the firm who directly sells them I decided to return to this forum to bounce this off of all of you. hop.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-03 02:53
    Part number for the radios? (they carry more than one 434mhz device)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2009-05-03 03:03
    Hello!
    And you said:
    Franklin said...
    Part number for the radios? (they carry more than one 434mhz device)

Okay here goes for the xmitter www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8946

And then for the receiver www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8950

Indeed there are several styles of transmitters and receivers, and a few for 434 Mhz, but this pair they claim is unique. What I don't like is that these parts are made in China and one of the data sheets opens into one that's readable under Acrobat on Linux, and one that causes it to complain because the reader doesn't have access to the appropriate character set. nono.gif

Heck, I've got scads of parts here who're made all over the place and the appropriate data sheets are created from all over the world and open correctly, this is the only ones who do that.

What I have in mind for the moment is having the Stamp send a series of numbers via the transmitter and have its receiver respond accordingly, as in having it dump that stream into something of a sort. And that's the part that's got me confused.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buck Rogers

www.gregg.levine.name
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-05-03 04:00
    I believe the links are just serial: use them like you would use a wire. Note (as it says on the page) you'll need two transmitter/receiver pairs on different frequencies to get bidirectional communication. As for the datasheet, it's a little unprofessional (specifically the default excel graphs), but the extra fonts are just for the footer: they have the company name in both English and Chinese.

Post Edited (SRLM) : 5/3/2009 4:05:43 AM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-03 18:37
    Seems to me the transmitter/receiver will act as a wireless pin on the stamp so you should be able to build a circuit that does whatever you want and replace one pin on the stamp with the pair of radios (one way only of course)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen