Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Temp Control (HVAC) — Parallax Forums

Temp Control (HVAC)

relengerrelenger Posts: 11
edited 2009-05-04 17:40 in BASIC Stamp
Im new to all this so i will do my best at decribing what i need to do.
Any help or direction with this would be great....

okay. i dont even know how to explain......

What im trying to do

i need to control a blower (motor)
Control would be based on a setting (Temp)
so the stamp needs to make a decision based on whatever the setting is set at.
The setting needs to be able to be set by the user, up or down (temp)

the hole thing im trying to do is
lets say the car cabin temp is 50
I want it to be 70
i set it to the HOT side
The basic stamp needs to figure out the temp (50) and turn the blower motor on until the temp reaches 65 - 70......·

i have hooked the stamp up to relays to turn the motor on and off and it worked as far as that goes.
i have not got a Temp sensor yet because i have no clue what on i need to make this all work.
I figure i can use a pot to control the temp setting?· ........·
any suggestions???

Later on i will add Heater duct control (floor/defrost·vent) ·and Hot/Cold (A/C)·Control

I also took a volt meter and measured the volts at the heater control knob.·it has 3 input 12Volt sources
and one out. but the out showed up like this 76mV.... im not sure what mV is?

Post Edited (relenger) : 5/2/2009 12:05:56 AM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-02 00:14
    Go to the parallax resourse page, stamps in class, What's a microcontroller and start there

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-05-02 01:53
    relenger

Its not as simple as turning on a blower fan.

For Heat: a valve must be opened that allows warm engine coolant to flow thought a heat exchanger inside the cab of the vehicle.
    for defrost the A/C compressor is run with the heat exchanger to help dry out the air.

For Cool: This heat valve needs to be shut off, And the A/C compressor turned on through A presser switch, And then temp. controlled.

This is a simple exercise for the BS2 with a Temp. input

This is a very easy project.

Take A look at STAMPWORKS, this will help You get started.

If Your still struggling after STAMPWORKS, drop another post reply to this thread and I send You some example code.

________________$WMc%_________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • relengerrelenger Posts: 11
    edited 2009-05-02 02:15
    Ya- It's got A HEMI<< lol<< this is actually going in a SRT-4

I know about the heater core.....
    actually i used to work at M.A.C.I (Michigan Automotive Compressor Inc.) We built the A/C compressor for all the big companys
    This all looks like a simple setup. my big problem is, i cant remember Smile... i keep going back to "what is a microcontroller"
    to write code. BUT i just cant retain the info. i get all lost and confused... i will check out stampworks... in keep going at it... i figure if i build enough stuff sooner or later ill figure it all out....

Thxs
    Doug
  • Radridz3Radridz3 Posts: 49
    edited 2009-05-02 03:16
    STEAL THE GUTS OUT OF A HOME DIGITAL THERMOSTAT .....Should also have a connection for heat pump..Which would actually be your heater core flow control valve.

Post Edited (Radridz3) : 5/2/2009 3:21:18 AM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-05-04 17:40
    Attached is a simple program I wrote a few years ago for keeping my house warm at the right times of the day. Perhaps it will give you an idea how to go about this as it monitors temperature and based on a preset temp turns the heat on/off. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering