Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
getting gps data is slow — Parallax Forums

getting gps data is slow

howvinhowvin Posts: 1
edited 2009-05-02 03:12 in BASIC Stamp
I have the parallax gps,·and I am connecting it with a stamp BS2px24.· I taking gps data and passing it with compass data to a computer.· I'm passing long, lat, time, ·attitude, and heading (from the compass). The whole cycle takes about 4 secounds.· I need gps data a least once a secound.· I'm not using debug but serial out.·· Is there anyway to speed up the data collection?
Get_Speed:
SEROUT GPSio, T4800, [noparse][[/noparse]"!GPS", GetSpeed]
SERIN GPSio, T4800, 3000, no_gps, [noparse][[/noparse]speed.HIGHBYTE, speed.LOWBYTE]
'DEBUG CR,"speed:", DEC (speed), CR
RETURN

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-05-01 21:09
    You'll want to take the NMEA strings instead of the smart mode. Look at the SERIN command to figure out how to do this, along with the GPS documentation.
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2009-05-02 03:12
    Can you paste the full code? The section you posted isn't lat, long, etc... If we saw the whole thing, we might be able to point out the time killers.

A few other questions until then:

How many GPS variables do you really need to get from the GPS unit and transmit out?
    How frequently is the GPS unit set to output? (Once a second, once every 4 seconds, etc?)
    Can you increase the baud rate that you input the data and/or serout the data?

Dave