Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help with home automation PLEASE! — Parallax Forums

help with home automation PLEASE!

atari7202atari7202 Posts: 2
edited 2009-05-01 15:51 in BASIC Stamp
alrighty... here's whats happening with my project- so i plan on using the bS2 {board of education} to open and close my blinds {the kind the flip up and down} I'm using the continuous rotation servos to control the open/closing and i will be using a leaf switch to detect they are open all the way and i will jsut have it set to close with a timer or maybe a leaf switch also so I'm figuring it out still
so here is the problem the programming.

i would like to know how or what statements to use since im kinda new
i would like it to open when when i have a relay open or apply 5 volts or so on a input or whatever i would like it to stop when it hits the leaf switch and then go back up when the relay turns of for "x" number of seconds

would i be using if then statements some how? please help a newb out

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-05-01 03:30
    Go here www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx and start with "What's a microcontroller" then you might read process control next.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • atari7202atari7202 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-05-01 12:03
    that's some broad help
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-01 13:54
    It's broad help, but that's what you need. There are examples in there for detecting switch closures and controlling relays and small motors. You might also look at Robotics for the BoeBot which discusses servo motors and their control at length.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-05-01 15:51
    Atari7202,

Since you already have the BASIC Stamp 2 and BOE, have you already completed What's A Microcontroller? Robotics with the Boe-Bot

There are very useful lesson in those books that will help working with the BASIC Stamp 2; also if someone offers suggestions with reference to the book or lesson (which is common for the forums), you know how to utilize it. Both books are free for download, and another book that will be a great help when programming is the BASIC Stamp Syntax & Reference Manual; that book covers all the commands and how to use them.

BASIC Stamp Syntax & Reference Manual:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/web-BSM-v2.2.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com