Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7Seg-DB(M) with MoBoStamp-pe - not working — Parallax Forums

7Seg-DB(M) with MoBoStamp-pe - not working

PeteJPeteJ Posts: 2
edited 2009-05-01 16:29 in BASIC Stamp
I recently bought the MoBoStamp-pe motherboard with the 2 free 7 segment displays from the Parallax webstore. I'm trying to get just the 7Seg-DB(M) working on the MoBoStamp pe to start with. No joy. I have the 7Seg-DB(M) attached to the B co-pro socket. I have re-programmed the B co-pro using the LoadAVR.exe program with the 7SEG1.HEX file. I'm running the right_marquee.bpe demo code on the MoBoStamp-pe. However, I don't see *any* output on the 4 7-segments LEDs. I believe I have all of the jumpers set correctly. Can anyone advise me what I may have done wrong/forgotten to do?

Thanks, Pete

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-04-30 22:39
    Pete,

It sounds like you've done everything right. Just to make sure, reload the 7SEG1.HEX file, and check to verify that the upload was successful. Then retry the marquee program (which you will also have to reload). If you still don't see anything, remove the jumper from the bottom of your 7Seg-DB(M), plug the 7Seg-DB(S) board into the end, and retry the marquee program.

1. If one or both boards still fail, make sure you've jumpered Vdd for 5V and try again. Does it work now?

2. Even at 5V, does the slave board work, but not the master? If so, the master is defective, and you need to contact tech support.

3. If neither board works, try everything over using Socket A instead. Does that work? If so, your motherboard is defective. Contact tech support.

4. If they don't work in Socket A either, I'm stuck. But report back anyway; maybe something else will come to me.

-Phil
  • PeteJPeteJ Posts: 2
    edited 2009-05-01 16:29
    Phil,

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I knew the hardware was not at fault, so I figured it was a software issue - and I've managed to figure it out.

The core problem was that the co-processor was not being programmed at all by LoadAVR. Why? My understanding is that it's down to the fact that I didn't install the StampEditor in the 'default' (that is, C:/Program Files/Parallax Inc/Stamp Editor v2.4.2/) location but on my d: drive. The .ini file LoadAVR creates when it first runs establishes what .hex file you use and also where the StampEditor is. In my case, the .ini file had, despite several attempts at deleting it and re-running LoadAVR, no entry for the StampEditor program.

I installed the BasicStamp program on a different machine and let it go for the default options. When I ran LoadAVR with this setup, it all worked - I saw the StampEditor programming window which never showed up previously. The Marquee code now works fine.

I suspect LoadAVR v.4 may need a tweak to accommodate the StampEditor not being in a default location. There isn't much documentation for LoadAVR so it may be worth considering Parallax offering a separate LoadAVR-specific document showing BasicStamp newbies like me what the programming process typically should look like when things work as they should.

Pete