Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3-axis mems accelerometer and DAQ — Parallax Forums

3-axis mems accelerometer and DAQ

moparx12moparx12 Posts: 2
edited 2009-04-29 18:20 in BASIC Stamp
I cant seem to find a lot of information on people doing a project like the one i am trying to jump into.

I'm a mechanical engineering student so i am somewhat familiar with basic electrical and a bit less familiar with programming. I really want to learn though.

I am part of a low budget race team and have been struggling to figure out what is going on with the car without more than tire gauges and IR temp gauges after the car comes in from an event.

The main thing i wish i could track is the acceleration of the car as it goes around the 3/8 mile oval asphalt track 2 or three times. I want to map the lateral, longitudinal and possibly the vertical acceleration as well.

From my research thus far, i think the best thing for me would be the Basic Stamp 2pe in some configuration. Obviously i need to be able to store a good amount of data (30 seconds to one minute worth) and from what i have read this chip has a lot of storage. I assume i can use the free excel program from parallax to pull in the data after the run?

Could you lead me in the right direction for this? Like what to buy/research? Another thing to add is that i don't care to record any of the high frequency vibrations in the car like from the motor. Instead i want the transitional and steady state acceleration values and bumps in the track and possibly jerky maneuvers by the driver. is there a way to filter that out using a low-pass or band-pass filter?

Thank You

Dylan

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-04-29 18:20
    As a mechanical engineer you could devise a support for the accelerometer that would isolate it from high frequency vibration while allowing lower frequency movement to be sensed. This probably would be easier than trying to do it in software.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen