Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming examples — Parallax Forums

Programming examples

morris4019morris4019 Posts: 145
edited 2009-04-26 12:16 in BASIC Stamp
Are there any online tutorial based information sites that I can breadboard out some different circuits (such as using motors, etc) so that i can learn the programming concepts and circuitry behind a stamp stack 2 microcontroller?

ps. I have done a few of my own experiments with leds, swtiches, pots, etc. But having trouble working a GM9 (solorbotics).
-Mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
======

······ I'll try everything once [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-25 12:29
    The Stamp Stack II is just a BS2sx OEM based kit. Functionally, it's identical to a BS2sx module with the DB9 programming connector built-in.

Have you looked at the Parallax Stamp tutorials? Have you looked at the Nuts and Volts Columns? They're all full of sample circuits and sample code.

There doesn't seem to be any on-line documentation for the Stamp Stack II, so it's hard to say whether the pin-out is identical to that of the BS2sx,
    but you could certainly make up a diagram from the documentation to guide your experiments.
  • morris4019morris4019 Posts: 145
    edited 2009-04-26 06:45
    Yeah your right. I actually bought it from solarbotics and they advertise (and it seems as though) it is the same as BS2sx, just in a slightly bigger format, with replaceable EEPROM and interpreter. I have been experimenting with some simple circuits. Actually my one big question is as follows. In my research and int he specs for the stamp module it says that there is a regulated 5v (VR1 on the board) source for the entire PCB, but is not accessable to the user. When i set, say HIGH 0, the output from the pin is close to the regulated 5v voltage. On the other end of the spectrum there is LOW 0. Is there a way to split up or output a certain signal or voltage/current/etc, say using a number between 0 - 255 or so?

I am also wondering if for a simple on/off for my GM9(solarbotics) i can, say, use a 2n2222 transistor as follows:

______
    / \
    | E B C |
    | | |
    | |
    > +9v
    |
    > FROM pin 0 (or whatever pin on stamp as an output)
    |
    / + \
    | motor |
    \ - /
    |
    > ground

does this work with the 2222?

-mike

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ======

······ I'll try everything once [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-04-26 12:16
    With a npn transistor (like 2n2222) , its more usual to put transistor on the ground side of your circuit.

so, +9v to one side of motor >> other side of motor to C of transistor >> E of transistor to ground.

Stamp pin >> 2.2K ohm resistor >>B of transistor.

When Stamp pin goes HIGH, motor runs. Check current rating of motor, 2n2222 is about 500 mA, I think.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·