Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepper Motor Identification — Parallax Forums

Stepper Motor Identification

NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
edited 2009-04-18 14:38 in BASIC Stamp
This may not be the right place to ask this, but I thought since I will be using my motors with a BS2 stamp I would give it a shot.

I rcently purchased a bunch of stepper motors that are both bi and unipolar. I have no idea which wire goes where. Is there a way to test the wires to determine which ones are power and ground? If I can figure that out, I will hopefully be able to determine which ones are for step and·which·are for direction. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-04-18 01:34
    Stepper motors don't have 'step' and 'direction' They usually consist of two coils or two center tapped coils that you energize in a pattern to get movement. if you have four wires there will be resistance between pairs and those are the coil leads. search wiki stepper for more info.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
    edited 2009-04-18 07:49
    If they do not have "step" and "Direction" then why is it mentioned in this article from piclist.com? I was always of the understnding that was the difference in stepper and DC motors. This is a paragraph from piclist.com

Once you know which wire (s) is(are) the common, you can find the order of the phases with a stepper controller or a battery. If you can connect it to a controller and provide direction and step signals continuously, the motor will either turn, or shake. If it shakes, swap one of the A wires with one of the B wires. If it turns in the wrong direction, swap the two A wires. If your wires are labeled A, B, C, D rather than A+, A-, B+, B-, that should read: If the motor steps back and forth, swap B & C. If it runs backwards, swap A & B. {Thanks to Steve Baldmin or TLA Microsystems Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand}
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-04-18 14:38
    That paragraph is correct.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen