Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can you identify this sensor? — Parallax Forums

Can you identify this sensor?

W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
edited 2010-02-26 17:02 in Accessories
I have these four IR sensors that I obtained a long time ago that I can't identify. There are no markings on them what-so-ever. I spent some time looking online but so many sensors listed do not have images to compare to. I'm hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Rich H

514430909_PHkbx-L.jpg

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-04-17 16:54
    It's a reflective optosensor (which you already knew). Since it has five pins, it probably has a logic (as opposed to phototransistor) output, with the emitter on the two-pin side. Try the websites of Omron, Panasonic, and Avago to see if you can find a match.

-Phil
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-04-17 17:32
    Looks *exactly* like a Hamamatsu. These are really nice IR photodetectors (with a short sensing distance; 3mm or so; ideal for striped encoders):

www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R64-P5587.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-04-17 17:32
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    It's a reflective optosensor (which you already knew). Since it has five pins, it probably has a logic (as opposed to phototransistor) output, with the emitter on the two-pin side. Try the websites of Omron, Panasonic, and Avago to see if you can find a match.

-Phil

Thanks, I quickly looked through those three and didn't find anything similar. If I can't find a match it probably wouldn't be too difficult to hook it up and figure it out. Knowing that the emitter is on the two pin side helps a lot. I hadn't got to thinking about how to guess the pins yet but that makes perfect sense.

Rich H
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-04-17 17:34
    Zoot said...
    Looks *exactly* like a Hamamatsu. These are really nice IR photodetectors (with a short sensing distance; 3mm or so; ideal for striped encoders):

www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R64-P5587.html

Yup, it sure does look like that. Thanks Zoot, I think you nailed it!

Rich H
  • JaimeJaime Posts: 16
    edited 2010-02-26 17:02
    This is a reflective sensor, the two pin side is the emitter, the three pin side must be a photo transistor, generally onle two pins are used emitter and collector, the emitter is generally grounded while the colector is connected to Vcc through a resistor, the output would be taken from the collector. The emitter side must be forward bias so that it can emitt the radiation. A reflective and flat surface is required so that the detector can sense the radiation coming fom the emitter.