Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I Want A Network So I Can Read Many RFID Readers — Parallax Forums

I Want A Network So I Can Read Many RFID Readers

John BurrowJohn Burrow Posts: 27
edited 2009-04-16 16:45 in BASIC Stamp
All,

I have 12 RFID readers connected to my BS2P.

Each reader is connected to a Protean Logic serial data buffer, then via a long cable to one of the pins on my BS2P.· 12 readers -> 12 buffers·-> 12 input pins. The BS2P·is dedicated to polling the 12 inputs, and the data buffer·holds the data for me while I'm polling other pins.

Now I'm thinking of adding more readers, and I'd like to go to a bus because, with the current setup, ·the amount of wiring is·becoming a major problem. The bus traffic·would be·very low (on average 1 read every 30 seconds) and collisions are just about impossible.

Right now, I could connect all of my reader/buffers to a single 2-wire setup, but I'd have no way of telling which reader just fired,·as they would all arrive on a single pin.

Does anyone know enough about networking to tell me how I can identify each reader·that's attached to the bus, ideally by adding a·'reader number' to the RFID message or something similar?

Apologies for the long post, and probably the wrong forum....

Thanks, John Burrow
San Diego·

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-04-16 16:45
    John,
    You would need something like an addressable buffer. This wouldn't be too hard to make with an SX chip.

Basically the SX would accept serial data from the RFID reader, and from the bus. And would send data on the bus.

The addressable buffers would basically wait for the master (BS2p) to ask them for their data.

That is how I would handle it.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There is a fine line between arrogance and confidence. Make sure you don't cross it...

·