Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BoeBot with BS2, What are the limitations? — Parallax Forums

BoeBot with BS2, What are the limitations?

NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
edited 2009-04-16 17:19 in BASIC Stamp
What are the limitatioms of a BS2 stamp when using it on a BoeBot or any other application for that matter? In other words, how many processes could be done? I want to combine the "Whiskers", Photoresistors and the IR sensors to all work in conjunction with each other.Is this possible, or will it overload? If there are 15 I/O's, can I use all of them for different tasks, such as controlling 4 servos while also controlling all the sensors, playing sounds and blinking LED's?

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-16 07:45
    It depends on how well you can code and what sort of frequencies you want to work with. Servos eat up quite a bit of time, as does any periodic PWM like that (sounds, blinking LEDs). I've gotten the BS2 to work with three servos, a ping, and some fairly heavy decision structures at the link below. It was a while ago, but as far as I remember the movement was sufficiently smooth.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=741023

BTW, there are 16 I/Os on the BS2 (0 - 15).
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-04-16 17:19
    NWUpgrades,

The BASIC Stamp series are single thread operator controllers; which means they can handle one task at a time. However, the BASIC Stamp 2 has an execution speed of about 4,000 instructions per second; which means you can do task, such as a pulse to a servo, and you have 20 ms of free time before the servo needs another pulse. That means you can check sensors, such as the whiskers or IR modules that you have on the Boe-Bot. As SRLM stated, it really depends on the program and how it is written. You can also post the program you have, and ask for tips on condensing or making it more efficient.

I hope this helps,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com