Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Rs232 & uart — Parallax Forums

Rs232 & uart

GiuseppeGiuseppe Posts: 51
edited 2009-04-15 05:37 in BASIC Stamp
Okay so this might sound like a trivial question but what is the difference between RS232 & UART? And which one can the BS2 handle? Whenever I look at spec sheets at some devices, I see this in their datasheets (stuff like CMOS level 0 to 5v) and i am never sure if the BS2 can handle it or not. If there is a book or online article I can read up that describes the difference, that would be great. Or maybe some friendly folk on this forum could explain. smile.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-15 05:37
    RS232 is a voltage specification for asynchronous serial information. Basically, it uses -5V to -25V for logic high (1) and +5V to +25V for logic low (0). There are also specifications for the connectors used. Do a web search for "wiki RS232" for a discussion of the specification.

UART stands for Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter and indicates a device (or software) to send and receive asynchronous serial information. Again, do a web search for "wiki UART" for a discussion of this.

The BS2 can act like a UART and can send and receive asynchronous serial information (not both at the same time) using 5V logic levels. With some simple interface circuitry, it can send and receive asynchronous serial information using RS232 voltage levels. The Stamp manual shows what's needed.