Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
COM Ports — Parallax Forums

COM Ports

JLampeJLampe Posts: 7
edited 2009-04-24 22:54 in BASIC Stamp
How do I get a com Port to work every time I try to set one it just tells me no com Port I have even downloaded the driver and stell no luck.

Comments

• Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-04-14 18:20
    JLampe,

Can you provide some additional details? Which development board and STAMP are you using? Are you communicating via RS232 or USB?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Craig Eid

··········· Triad Research and Development
    Electical Engineering Design and Consulting Services

··················· www.TriadRD.com
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-04-14 18:24
    Click on the ID icon at the top of the Basic Stamp editor. It should bring up all available ports. You can then set the Directive tab to chose that port every time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-04-14 18:57
    JLampe,

The PORT directive is one that we use sparingly; just because it's easy to get mixed up and wonder why the program, which works perfectly on another COM port, is not working anymore. The BASIC Stamp Editor will not download to any other com port than the one specified. However, it is handy if you are programming various controllers at once and do not want to over write a, existing program. Either way, from within the BASIC Stamp Editor navigate the following: Directive => Port => COM NUMBER. Once you have selected the COM PORT, it will show the new directive under the BASIC Stamp and PBASIC directives.

Is this what you mean?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-04-14 19:37
    Have you been successful in getting the USB-232 adapter to work at any time? I find that once its been properly recognized, it stays at the same virtual port number.

Are you using the Parallax USB converter? with the proper downloadable driver? using the installation utility on the Parallax website?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-04-14 20:42
    @stamptrol

a USB-232 adapter will change com numbers if you plug it into a different USB port.

@JLampe

It would help if you described your computers OS and hardware such as USB adapter if used.
    Did you check your system hardware to make sure the OS sees the comport. If it does what port number was assigned to it? Tell the BS editor to use that port. If this is not help make sure that no other software is using that port. (Don't really think that is the case). Then make sure that you are feeding the BS with a good power source. -You should be able to click the ID button at the top to allow the software to check out all comports. It is also possible that the USB-RS232 Adapter is just not compatible with the software or Hardware. I have ran into that several times when trying to connect a TNC and Weather station to one computer that had only one serial port and the USB-rs-232 adapter. I would swap the two around and everything would work when before the one on the USB wouldn't.

Anyway good luck and I hope it works for you.
  • NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
    edited 2009-04-16 03:24
    Myself I use a Prolific USB to Serial adapter cable and have no problem communicating with my BS2 stamp.·FearTurtles is correct that if you plug your adapter in to a different port it will change the COM·port it uses. I have seen mine go from 4 to 11 by doing that.·
  • JLampeJLampe Posts: 7
    edited 2009-04-24 17:58
    I got the ports to work but I have to work with it to do this and at times it can take me som time to get them to work I'm useing the USB RS-232 adapter but can stell take me some time to get them to work.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-04-24 22:54
    Not all usb to rs232 adapters work with the stamp, some do some never will and some work sometimes. What model did you get? Also remember once you install one it only works automatically in that port and if you move it it will get a different com port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen