Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID range — Parallax Forums

RFID range

GiuseppeGiuseppe Posts: 51
edited 2009-04-13 01:52 in BASIC Stamp
I am pretty satisfied with the RFID reader parallax has developed but I am wondering if there are any other kind of readers out there to tinker with (that can interface with a BS2). What I am really interested in is a reader with longer reading range without having to resort to an "active" reader system. I have been reading around and found out that some people actually make their own RFID antennas with other modules. Does anybody know of them? Or is there any way to extend Parallax's RFID reader from 2" - 4" to say 10" to 1'? Thanks.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-13 01:44
    You can't really extend the read range of Parallax's reader. I experimented with removing the printed circuit antenna and substituting another tuned antenna and I didn't get much difference in range. I had tried a different antenna mostly because I needed a different form factor (thicker with a smaller diameter).

There are other RFID readers. I've used one from IB Technology that worked well for me. You have to wind your own coil (700uH). It'll connect directly to a Stamp and has a maximum range of 20cm, about 8". With 125KHz tags, you may not get the sort of range you want.
  • GiuseppeGiuseppe Posts: 51
    edited 2009-04-13 01:52
    I was going to tear apart the circuit board myself and try to substitute an antenna as well. Thanks for saving me the trouble.