Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless Communication with PC — Parallax Forums

Wireless Communication with PC

BonesBones Posts: 3
edited 2009-04-09 05:09 in BASIC Stamp
I have tried searching and reading through almost a hundred pages of this forum so please excuse me if I overlooked something.

I'm trying to figure out how to interface my BS2 with my PC wirelessly. Originally I was hoping to find a way to do this using a TCP/IP Connection. I could have swore I have seen someone interface the BS2 with an Ethernet port. Then I could have connected this to a wireless bridge. This would have been ideal to retrieve data from my robot over the internet.

But I also have been looking into the whole RF option. The only problem is I haven't been able to find much info on interfacing the BS2 with a PC over RF. The only info I was able to find was about interfacing two BS2 micro controllers over RF.

If anyone has any info on either option, it would be greatly appreciated if you could point me in the right direction. Also if you have any ideas on how to retrieve data from the BS2 wirelessly, that would also be great.

Thank you!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-04-09 00:52
    www.wiznet.co.kr/en/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-09 01:14
    There are a variety of devices available for wirelessly linking a BS2 to a PC wirelessly. The EB500 Bluetooth module is one way. The xBee modules from Digi is another way and they have several different lines of devices with different power requirements and range. Most of them provide for an ordinary bidirectional serial connection that can be used for data transfers (not program downloading). WiFi as Franklin is also an option, but the power requirements are higher than for straight Bluetooth or xBee. The EB500 comes with lots of documentation and sample code. Selmaware (www.selmaware.com) sells PCBs for an xBee adapter and the website has sample Stamp code and schematics.

I've used various xBee modules with both Stamps and the Propeller. Once it's initialized, it comes up already providing a serial channel that you just use SERIN and SEROUT statements with as if the link were wired. You need an xBee on the PC end as well. If you don't want to bother with that, Bluetooth may be better for you since most computers these days have built-in Bluetooth.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-04-09 02:54
    I am just starting to work on the wireless part of my project and so far the economical option and ease of programming is Bluetooth.· I have, quite by accident, acquired Bluetooth dongle for a few dollars only to find out that I shelled out about twice of going rate on popular web market.
    Just found out about EB500. The manual looks nice and comprehensive (one gets kind of spoiled by Parallax attention to detail – nice), but the local supplier price is almost twice of OEM.
    I do not know much about Bluetooth protocol but·it sure looks like plain old SERIN /SEROUT will do OK. I am not sure I would want to mess with TCP/IP in stamp.
    And on top of that· - my main purpose - data transfer from stamp to PC or another device.
    Nothing too speedy, just· “look ma , no wires”!
    ·
    ·Stand - by for details in about two weeks.
    Cheers
    Vaclav
  • BonesBones Posts: 3
    edited 2009-04-09 05:09
    Wow, can't believe I completely overlooked Bluetooth. It definitely seems like the cheapest and simplest communication protocol available for the BS2. Thank you.