Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Damaging BS 1 by connecting DC Motor to Vin and Vss? — Parallax Forums

Damaging BS 1 by connecting DC Motor to Vin and Vss?

KevkaKevka Posts: 2
edited 2009-04-09 21:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I recently got a BS 1 from my school.
I have to make a presentation about it therefore I was trying different things in order to get to know it.
I connected a speaker to the BS using a transistor. This worked well and so I tried to connect a DC motor to the transistor instead of the speaker of cause changing some of my program code.
I'm still in process of learning things that concerned with hardware and it's software that I'm really good in, but because it said "student-save" in the data sheet I dared to try some things I wouldn't have dared to try with for example an avr.
Because the motor connected via the transistor did not move I tried to connect the motor directly to the power supply using Vin and Vss. But after a second or so the red power LED went off and did not from this moment. So I shut the BS off, disconnected everything, waited a minute and then reconnected the power supply, but the LED stayed off. And neither could I download programs anymore.
So now, I'm wondering which kind of damage I caused. I thought, the Vin was directly connected to the power supply, but my 9V power supply unit is still working.
Does anybody know what could be damaged?
Is there a way to repare it?

best regards Kevka

p.s.: please excuse my bad English, I'm from Germany in grade 10 and still learning it.

[noparse][[/noparse]Edit:]
I measured the voltage between Vin and Vss and between Vdd and Vss.
Vin seems to be OK having 9V, but at Vdd I can only measure 1.1 V.
Could it be that the voltage converter is damaged?

Post Edited (Kevka) : 4/8/2009 10:33:31 AM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-04-08 17:37
    Hello,

Which BASIC Stamp 1 board are you using? Are you sure you didn’t connect between Vss and Vdd? That would more likely cause damage to the on-board regulator. Also, how are you powering the board? Is your battery low/dead?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • KevkaKevka Posts: 2
    edited 2009-04-09 07:59
    Hi,
    thank you for your reply.
    I've checked some things and and tried to rethink about the thing I did and now I'm sure that you are right.
    It seems I confused Vdd and Vin and so it seems I've connected Vss and Vdd.
    I'm powering my board (called BS1 Project Board) using a Voltcraft IC universal regulator set to 9V output.
    So there's now battery that could be low/dead and the universal regulator is still suppling 9V as I measured using a multimeter.

I asked my dad and he thinks that the voltage converter is broken, too.
    Is it possible to replace it using an SMD component?

best regards Kevka
    edited 2009-04-09 17:07
    If you are proficient in SMD soldering you could replace it. You may want to contact our Tech Support Dept. and let them know what happened. They may have other options for you. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-04-09 18:22
    Chris -- just a thought. Couldn't he also try hooking a regulated 5v up to Vdd and ground to Vss to bypass the on-board regulator? And at least verify if it's just the regulator and if a program could be downloaded and run? And if that worked, he might have a work-around if he needs to be up and running soon for a class demonstration.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    edited 2009-04-09 21:30
    Yes, he could, but not with the regulator installed. Supplying 5V to the Vdd could cause more problems if the output of the regulator is shorted.· Calling Tech Support now before doing anything with the board opens more options. Once repair has been attempted there is little they can do. [noparse];)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering