Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I use the prop plug on a Basic Stamp 2 board??? — Parallax Forums

Can I use the prop plug on a Basic Stamp 2 board???

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2011-03-07 11:31 in BASIC Stamp
Hi guys I bought a basic stamp2 board its pretty basic it comes with the Pbasic stamp2 and an eprom and serial port connector DB9 does anyone know if I can use the prop plug USB connector with this board?
I need the stamp 2 for a simple project but did not realize customer has no serial ports on his PC "who does these days" anyway I have put the board together and every thing works I also bought a few prop plugs for my prop stuff and thought it would be really nice if I could use it with the basic stamp I have a Boe Bot USB so is it possible with this Stamp OEM board??? Thanks
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-06 23:57
    It won't work.· The voltage levels are all wrong and the signals are of opposite polarity (inverted).

The PropPlug is made to work with a Propeller which uses +3.3V/0V signals.· The Stamps expect RS232 voltage levels for programming which are -6V to +6V, perhaps as high as -12V to +12V and the polarity is opposite with the negative voltages being the idle voltage instead of the Propeller's +3.3V for idle.
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-04-07 01:25
    Thanks Mike had to ask
    ·
  • skater_j10skater_j10 Posts: 2
    edited 2011-03-06 22:42
    Mike is absolutely right, but if you'd like to add the additional circuitry in order to do it here's the diagram:

USB to BS2_schem.jpg

Courtesy of Solarbotics, assisted by Parallax technical support member Kevin.
    1024 x 1020 - 59K
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2011-03-07 11:16
    skater_j10
    you should have told him before, but your diagram is really good stuff at any time. Thanks for sharing it.
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-03-07 11:31
    mikediv wrote: »
    I need the stamp 2 for a simple project but did not realize customer has no serial ports on his PC "who does these days" anyway I have put the board together and every thing works I also bought a few prop plugs for my prop stuff and thought it would be really nice if I could use it with the basic stamp I have a Boe Bot USB so is it possible with this Stamp OEM board??? Thanks
    ·

If you are using some of the OEM Stamp chips to build your own Stamp module then you can use the Prop Plug for programming. The completed modules that Parallax sells are meant for RS232 signals but the OEM Interpreter chips use logic level signals and work fine with the Prop Plug. I posted a project that shows how to take one of the SX28 and SX48 protoboards and replace the controller with an OEM Stamp chip. It uses a Prop Plug for Programming. You may want to check out this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?127147-BASIC-Stamp-DEV-boards-based-on-OEM-chips-and-SX28-48-Protoboards

Robert

If you have a regular Stamp Module that is meant for RS232 then you should probably go with a regular USB to Serial adapter (based on the FTDI chipset) instead.