Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A different kind of robot — Parallax Forums

A different kind of robot

NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
edited 2009-04-06 22:42 in BASIC Stamp
I have an idea for a robot I want to build but need some assistance. First, this may be off topic and I apologize for that. Rather than using BS2 stamps, etc. I want to use an actual computer motherboard. One of the reasons is that the robot will need to store large amounts of data including video, storybooks and music. Does anyone know of any manuals, websites or documentation that might be able to assist me in this?

Next, Can I use PBasic to program the functions that need to be done? I have delved in to C and C++ but it has been a while and I would like to keep this simple to start with. Are there PCI cards on the market that I could connect my motors, etc. to and have the PBasic software control them? I appreciate any assistance and advice that I can get.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-06 21:48
    PBASIC is only for the BS line of microcontrollers. You might be able to program what you want in the original basic, I don't know. Take a look at the Sun SPOT Java embedded system if you want lots of power in a small package. It's relatively cheap (for students at least) and supports a full Java environment. Otherwise, you can just use a laptop for what you need, and hook the peripherals up via COM port with a BS2 out there.
  • NWUpgradesNWUpgrades Posts: 292
    edited 2009-04-06 22:15
    I thought about a laptop, but am looking at using an ITX board with an Atom CPU. I decided on this because of the size and expense. I want to have an LCD monitor located about waist high. The reason is that i have grandkids, and i want them to be able to watch videos on the robot and to also have it read them bed time stories with pictures coming up on the monitir. The isde is to have them tell the robot what they want to watch or which story they want to hear and the robot will comply. I am thinking I may need to get back to my C++ programming, or maybe Java like you suggested. Thanks for the input.
  • AveryAvery Posts: 9
    edited 2009-04-06 22:42
    You could take a look at RobotBasic if you want to stick with basic. I think you can use it to remotely control small robots with a desktop computer, so I'm sure you can use it if the motherboard is attached to the robot.

I'm not sure of the limitations though, but its a free download.

There's also a book for it "Robot Programmer's Bonanza". Parallax sells it in the robotics books section of the store.