Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help connecting a 555 timer to BS2 — Parallax Forums

Need help connecting a 555 timer to BS2

cameroncameron Posts: 33
edited 2009-04-09 22:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi I was given this 555 timer for my basic stamp but I dont really know what it does and how I can interface it with my Basic Stamp boared of Education can any help

Thanks,

Cameron

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062595

PS. The top of the Chip has a circle on the top not a semi circle an actual circle on the top and its on the top left side. Is that the top were pin 8 is suppose to be?

Thanks,

Cameron

Comments

• Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-04-06 19:07
    Cameron,

Have you looked at the datasheet for the 555? A quick google search produced the·following link - http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM555.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Craig Eid

··········· Triad Research and Development
    Electical Engineering Design and Consulting Services

··················· www.TriadRD.com
  • cameroncameron Posts: 33
    edited 2009-04-06 19:11
    Thanks Graig,

For the link I am kinda new to this thing so I am not really good enougth to understand data sheets do you know how you would connect that to a basic stamp?

Thanks,

Cameron
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-06 20:13
    Do a web search for "555 Timer" and you'll find all sorts of introductory information on this device. Spend some time reading.

In terms of hooking it up to a Stamp, it depends on what you want to use it for and what you want the Stamp to do.

You still need to read the datasheet since it has an explanation of how the device works and some sample circuits for different functions.
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-04-07 01:28
    cameron·if its to the left of the notch that just means pin 1 , I have a few schematics of 555 circuits for differant things, square wave, sound effects, what do you want to do with it or are you just looking for something in general?
    ·
  • GWJaxGWJax Posts: 267
    edited 2009-04-09 22:58
    mikediv said...
    cameron if its to the left of the notch that just means pin 1 , I have a few schematics of 555 circuits for differant things, square wave, sound effects, what do you want to do with it or are you just looking for something in general?

Here is a schematic for an IR Beacon that I made for a discussion in another thread. With this beacon you can use your stamp to detect it at 38kHz and if you make 3 of them then you can program your boe-bot to triangulate the position of your bot for mapping out the area and record it's routes.

Jax

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If a robot has a screw then it must be romoved and hacked into..