Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC Stamp Editor - Access violation — Parallax Forums

BASIC Stamp Editor - Access violation

BrianCBrianC Posts: 6
edited 2009-04-07 21:44 in BASIC Stamp
Greetings!

This evening, when I closed the BASIC Stamp Editor, the following error occurred...

BASIC Stamp Editor
Access violation at address 004CE38C in module 'Stampw.exe'. Read of address 00000100.
OK··
Where·/ how should I report this?

Thanks,
Brian
·

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-06 07:07
    I don't think it really has to do with the editor. I get this sort of message all the time when I close IE. I don't know how or why it does what it does, but it doesn't seem to corrupt anything so I let it slide.
  • BrianCBrianC Posts: 6
    edited 2009-04-06 07:14
    > I don't think it really has to do with the editor.

Why would you think an "Access violation" in "Stampw.exe" didn't have something to do with the BASIC Stamp Editor?

Brian
    edited 2009-04-06 07:26
    @BrianC

Because I've gotten the same errors on other programs. My theory (and that's all that it is) is that windows is lightly corrupted, and the heap management isn't what it should be. I've reinstalled windows for another reason (COM port driver failure) and the IE problem went away.
    edited 2009-04-06 07:36
    > My theory (and that's all that it is) is that windows is lightly corrupted, and the heap management isn't what it should be.

While your theory may be true this particular message indicates, beyond any doubt, that this is a bug in BASIC Stamp Editor.

Brian
  • Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
    edited 2009-04-06 22:48
    Brian,
    Microsoft wants you to think it is not their problem but it is a Windows operating system problem. Think about it. If there was a problem with the Stamp Editor wouldn't us thousands of users have the same problem? I have had problems with programs in the past and found totally un-related programs and hardware the real problem. Check your registry and possible malware for trouble spots.
    Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave W.
    edited 2009-04-06 23:06
    Dave,

> it is a Windows operating system problem

It isn't. The address 004CE38C is in the code area of Stampw.exe.

> If there was a problem with the Stamp Editor wouldn't us thousands of users have the same problem?

That is specious reasoning.

> Check your registry and possible malware for trouble spots.

It's a fresh installation of Windows. There's nothing else installed and all the updates have been applied.

Brian
    edited 2009-04-06 23:08
    I don't think the error definitely points to the editor as the source of the bug. Consider the line:

"Access violation at address 004CE38C in module 'Stampw.exe'. Read of address 00000100."

It could be that the editor is trying to get to memory that it shouldn't, or that the OS thinks that memory is illegal to the editor when in fact that is not the case. The second scenario is what I meant by 'windows lightly corrupted.' Something between the time I installed windows and the time I closed ( in my case) IE changed in some system file, and so the error arrives.

But, like I said, it's all conjecture.
  • Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2009-04-06 23:47
    Do you have the latest version of the Stamp Editor (2.4.2)?··· http://www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx

Please post your version number.· Not an expert, but it's something quick and easy to rule out.
    edited 2009-04-07 01:16
    > Do you have the latest version of the Stamp Editor (2.4.2)?

I do. It was downloaded and installed two weeks ago.

Biran
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-04-07 21:36
    Brian

If you have a Anti Virus or Registry Cleaner or something like that it can give you problem because I have had them my self with the Stamp Editor if you have them installed try· Stamp Editor· with these program turn off and

see if the same thing again

I hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
    edited 2009-04-07 21:44
    Sam,

> Anti Virus or Registry Cleaner or something like that it

It's a fresh installation of Windows. Neither anti-virus nor Registry cleaner is installed.

Brian