Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Usb or serial — Parallax Forums

Usb or serial

map makermap maker Posts: 8
edited 2009-04-05 04:29 in BASIC Stamp
I am just getting into microprocessors with no experience at all.
But im dieing to start building my own simple components.

I am looking at starting with the discovery kit but can only get the Usb style from my local shop.
I want the serial type because i think it will be simplier.

My computer only has usb but im able to borrow my work computer and my pda has serial.

Would it better to spend a little more to get the serial or would i be better off getting the usb?

If anyone has any comments, i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Dan
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-04-04 16:11
    Why do you think the serial discovery kit would be simpler?
    It's much more important to find out what you're assuming or believing than our various opinions.
    You will get different opinions from different people and they are (of course) all correct.
  • Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-04-04 17:01
    Dan,

Do not be concerned about communicating with a microcontroller through the USB interface, as there are numerous tools available that allow you to seamlessly convert from Serial (RS-232) to USB. The Parallax BASIC Stamp development system supports USB through a virtual·Com port·and·PBasic·does not distinguish a difference between USB and Serial (RS-232).

Connecting a USB port to your computer requires·the installation of the appropriate drivers and a·USB to Serial (RS-232) adapter that is compatible with the Parallax development system. Parallax offers a few options based on the FTDI chipset -http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Tools/tabid/162/CategoryID/37/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/32/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName·and http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/usb/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/378/Default.aspx· .

Please·view the following link for more information on USB to Serial (RS-232) adapter cables - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=784398·.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Craig Eid

··········· Triad Research and Development
    Electical Engineering Design and Consulting Services

··················· www.TriadRD.com
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-04-04 17:14
    My recommendation is not do dwell on options (USB or serial). Also do not start by limiting yourself to PC hardware.· Figure out WHAT you want to accomplish with your microprocessor – come up with an application first. That way you have a goal to shoot for and way to measure your progress.
    Once you have a direction / application than buy appropriate processor hardware.
    A “universal” kit is just like Swiss army knife with 100+ attachments – relatively spendy if all you want is a big blade and a can opener.
    Read a good general book on microprocessors, come up with application and than come back to forum and seek further advice from the group.
    Cheers
    ·
    ·
    ·
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-04-04 22:49
    Dan--

I have never used anything but USB.·I have many USB to serial adapters. (Parallax sells them with the name "USB2SER.") I have had as many as five Stamps connected through five USB2SER adapters to a USB hub connected to my laptop.

Everything has always worked very well. I am also a newbie.

Have fun!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • map makermap maker Posts: 8
    edited 2009-04-05 04:11
    Thanks for the info guys.
    I think ill go with the usb.

I would love to read a book but i am just bursting at the seams to get building.

My idea is to have a module out in the woods that would be able to go in sleep mode. Then have 2 pir sensors that would detect when a deer walks by. It would date stamp the movement showing me direction. Then go back to sleep. I would also like to add tempurate and other sensors to see if i can find some corelation to deer movement to natural cycles.

I am thinking the parallax discovery series kit will be able to·show me these basics.
    From there i would ike to add on to build this module.

If there is a better way, i'm all ears.

Thanks for your opinions, and i look forward to seeing others projects.
    Dan
    ·
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-05 04:29
    You could have the PIRs turn on the module (via a transistor), then have the BS2 hold itself on until it records the data, then release back to the PIRs, and turn off when the motion goes off. That way, you only have to power the PIRs, and not the BS2 too (for the most duration of time). Note though that the PIR is quite sensitive and may sense things like moving tree branches.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=775638