GPS and a Datalogger

WesternStudentWesternStudent Posts: 6
edited 2009-05-13 18:22 in BASIC Stamp
Stamp: BS2
Board:· Board of Education with USB connection
Parallax Data logger with 2Gig USB drive
Parallax GPS Receiver Module
·
We are trying to log GPS data using the listed parts from above.· These parts will be placed inside an RC Airplane and used to track the planes coordinates, speed, altitude, and heading.· We are novice PBasic Programmers and have attempted to create a program but we've been unsuccessful.· We are looking for any suggestions/help on making this come together.· We were able to test the GPS module and the data logger separately with no problems due to the given test programs, but we are unable to make them work together.· Thanks in advance for any assistance you can be.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-31 15:45
    It's been done before (datalogging with a BS2 and GPS). I did something similar at the link below. It's for a BS2e, but the only difference between that and a BS2 is the slots and SCRAM. You can pretty much just cut and paste. For learning how to program in PBASIC, try the various stamps in class books in the downloads section of Parallax, especially What's a Microcontroller. The Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual is also a handy resource.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=741023
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-31 17:47
    SRLM, what does the C in SCRAM stand for? Did you mean SPRAM?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-03-31 18:54
    "SCratch pad RAM"

It's an old acronym from when I first started learning the BS2e (in isolation). I suppose I should switch over someday, but I do like how SCRAM is a real word.
  • WesternStudentWesternStudent Posts: 6
    edited 2009-04-01 14:56
    Thank you, SRLM. I will investigate this further and let you know how it goes.
    edited 2009-04-06 15:24
    The RUN and GET commands wont work with the BS2. I know I can't have all the variables in one program, there just isn't enough memory. Any further suggestions?
    edited 2009-04-06 18:14
    Yes, the GET, PUT, and RUN commands are for the BS2 models beside the original. For the original BS2, you can store data in the EEPROM with the WRITE and READ commands.
    edited 2009-04-08 14:01
    Well I am having difficulties useing the EEPROM to store the variables.· I'm going to order the BS2e module so I may use the RUN command like in your program.· If I don't come across any more obsticles I will post some pics of the plane.
    edited 2009-04-08 14:45
    If you post (by attach) the code that you have you may get some help.
    edited 2009-05-13 18:09
    Well the plane is up and running. I used a combination of the Demo code that comes with the data logger documentation and alot of ur code SRLM, thank you for that. We were not able to succefully fly the plane and log the GPS data due to windy and rainy weather conditions but I tested the code in my car several times, and it worked fine. There is some cleaning up that could be done but I'm not worried about that now.

Once again, SRLM, thank you for your help.
    edited 2009-05-13 18:22
    Here are some pics...

The battery pack is located under the foam.· It seemed to me that the GPS module worked better with the 9V battery·than the 4 x 1.5V battery pack, even though the board works with both.· Maybe this is just a coincidence.
    2604 x 3472 - 2M
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    3472 x 2604 - 2M