Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cant talk with BS2 when GPS is connected — Parallax Forums

Cant talk with BS2 when GPS is connected

NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
edited 2009-03-28 17:16 in BASIC Stamp
OK so I got my GPS in this week and I am all excited about testing this thing out. I am using the BS editor version 2.4 and connecting to my BS2 via the 9 pin serial port. Everything is installed on a breadboard for now. I loaded the sample source code from the website into my editor. Once I had my GPS in place connected just as the docs said, I powered up my breadboard and tried to run the sample app from the editor. It started to download the source then gave me the following error:
"Hardware communication failure. Check serial cable and power supply."

I can power off my breadboard, remove the GPS, power the BB back on and reclick the run button and the software loads and runs fine.
The debug window show all the field captions but of course there are no values.
Then I can leave the debug window open, power off the BB, reinstall the GPS, power on the BB and the debug windows will show partial download of the same screen data but usually gets about half the screen then hangs. It refreshes every so often but never fully displays all data.
It appears to me that so long as the GPS is running then the BS2 is unable to communicate back to my PC via the 9 pin serial connection.
Also the led is blinking on the GPS.
I am sure I am doing something stupid so dont be afraid to tell me what a dumb mistake I have made or what I overlooked.

By the way, I do understand the GPS will probably not pick up any satillites while inside my house but I at least should be able to talk to the BS2.
·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Thanks

NosePicker

Comments

• Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-03-28 16:56
    How are you delivering power to the GPS module? The module·draws a lot of current (115mA minimum)·and, from your description, it appears that you are not supplying the power required by the GPS module and the remainder of your breadboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Craig Eid

··········· Triad Research and Development
    Electical Engineering Design and Consulting Services

··················· www.TriadRD.com
  • NosePickerNosePicker Posts: 54
    edited 2009-03-28 17:04
    I have a power supply set to 6v that will supply up to 800mA that is supplying power to the BB.
    That is used to power my BasicStamp and I am using pin 21 from the stamp (+5v) to supply power to my GPS.
    Now since I have posted this message I read where it would take upto 5 minutes for the GPS to lock in on enough satillites to begin working.
    So I turned on my bread board and the led started blinking on the gps and sure enough within 5 minutes the led is now solid.
    As far as I can tell the GPS is working fine. What appears to be happening is maybe the stamp is resetting itsself. Maybe not enough Amps or something.
    I have another powersupply that will output upto 1000mA. In either case the sympton is simply I am unable to communicate between the PC and stamp while the GPS is connected.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thanks

NosePicker
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-03-28 17:16
    You cannot run the GPS from the Stamp-derived +5V (pin_21), basically it's for running the Stamp.· That little regulator IC is rated for something like 50mA.· Applying a·wall-pack with a higher current rating isn't the answer.· You need to come up with a separate source for the GPS 5V.·

Post Edit -- About your breadboard/"BB".· What is it, something home-made?· If it's a BoE or later model HWB, you should be using "Vdd" (which is not pin_21).

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 3/28/2009 5:21:50 PM GMT