Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Send SMTP Mail message from Microcontrollers / Stamps — Parallax Forums

Send SMTP Mail message from Microcontrollers / Stamps

SteelBenderManSteelBenderMan Posts: 2
edited 2014-02-22 12:26 in BASIC Stamp
Here is the need: My company has some remote equipment that has become more critical to our operation. Critical in the sense that we would prefer to know if a motor didn't close a vent completely or open a valve to drain a pond down halfway. We currently visit the site at least once weekly but got the idea to connect some type of monitoring device that will send a short email message via SMTP when any one of 16 switches opens or closes. When a switch contact closes, we want the message to read: Pump #1 started; Pump #1 pressure switch closed. etc.

Another example would be to receive an SMTP message when any door or window is opened or closed on my house. If I can connect it to magnetic / hall effect switches, I can customize the text for each switch input.

Anyone have any suggestions for this type of monitoring SMTP system?

Thanks much,

SteelBenderMan

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-27 22:11
    Have you looked at the PINK (www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/pink/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/40/Default.aspx). This device is made to interface with the Stamp or other microcontroller and can send e-mail messages (among other things). It cannot receive e-mail, but can be controlled with a web browser.
  • SteelBenderManSteelBenderMan Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-29 04:15
    Mike,

Thank you very much. I just ordered a Pink. This is exactly what I was looking for. I had done some searches for a Parallax stamp but didn't this one. I have some Stamp kits and believe this will get us started.

Bill
  • lindseydallaslindseydallas Posts: 14
    edited 2014-02-21 06:55
    Hi Mike Green,

This post is pretty old, and it looks like the PINK is no longer available. Is there something new that does the same thing? I am considering using the Basic Stamp in a very similar application to the original poster's.

Thanks!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2014-02-21 07:36
    Although it's no longer sold by Parallax, the original manufacturer, NetBurner, still sells it. It's really one of their standard products with custom firmware which is downloadable from their website.
  • Prophead100Prophead100 Posts: 192
    edited 2014-02-21 18:56
    Is the Spinneret or Wiznet W5200 able to do the email and/or SMS?
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2014-02-21 19:24
    The Spinneret can very definitely send emails, with much more data in them. You also need to be familiar with Spin, the Propeller's programming language, but once you get the hang of that, the Spinneret can do some fantastic stuff. I use them in some monitor and control systems to send out long emails packed with a lot of data, every hour. They have a built-in real-time clock and extra memory... great little things!
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2014-02-22 12:26
    The netburner PINK is still easily available and they also sell their SB-70 which is the same device at a lower cost which you download the PINK software into.

A very solid performer and flexible at remote sites. My customer use them to both monitor and control hydro-carbon remediation units in the far north.

Cheers,