Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Basic Stamps Found! Help! — Parallax Forums

No Basic Stamps Found! Help!

iamalexiamalex Posts: 5
edited 2009-03-28 20:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Guys,

I just got my Boe-Bot Basic stamp2 and the board of Education project platform package today. I was so excited to start, but I am now really frustrated by the fact I keep getting " No Basic Stamps Found".

I use the USBto232 that comes with the package connect to my laptop. There is nothing I would made a mistake. I even tested the voltage on each of the pins, it's all good. And I searched on the internet about all possibilities, no method works. I keep getting " No Basic Stamps Found"

The scanning result shows "yes" for loopback and echo, nothing else.

Anyone could help me? Thanks a lot....

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-27 05:06
    Make sure you have the proper I/O driver installed for the USB to RS232 adapter. There's a document on USB to RS232 adapters here: www.parallax.com/Default.aspx?tabid=530. There's a link at the bottom of the page for troubleshooting USB adapters.

Make sure the Board of Education (BOE) is powered properly. The Stamp has to be running to be recognized by the editor and you need power for that.

I've never had a problem with the BOE once I got the right USB driver installed.
  • iamalexiamalex Posts: 5
    edited 2009-03-27 05:47
    Thanks a lot..

I've already tried all these stated errors in the file. I am 100% sure the battery is connected, it is turned on, I installed the latest ftdi usb driver, the editor, ect...

What else can I do? . I wish I didn't win on the ebay bid... Maybe I should use Ardurino board...
    edited 2009-03-27 13:26
    You mentioned an eBay bid ... was there any kind of guarantee? If the seller said that the Stamp worked, then you have some recourse through eBay. If not ...

You might call Parallax support. They will (of course) guarantee anything they sell, but they also will "recycle" a Stamp that's been damaged for any reason for 1/2 price. They may also have other ideas and suggestions.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-03-27 13:33
    iamalex said...
    I wish I didn't win on the ebay bid... Maybe I should use Ardurino board...
    Non sequitur.

Anyway, an "Ardurino board" bought on ebay could be a real pig in a poke, too.

Caveat emptor.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-03-27 14:43
    I am not familiar with your hardware. ( I use BS2 OEM board directly with DB9 serial port cable. Mine USB adapter does not work either and I do not have time and patience to troubleshoot it.)

Can you run serial port directly via DB connector? Without the USB adapter.

edited 2009-03-27 15:29
    Yes, I just tried it on a desktop computer using the serial port directly.
    I got the same error" no stamps found." But the software can find the port com1, and got feedback and echo "yes".

Does anyone know how to test whether the BS2 is broken? I measured the voltage on BS2:
    Sout:4.53V
    sin:8.39V
    ATN:0V
    P0 - P15 : 0.6
    Vcc=5.0
    Rst=5.0
    Vin=6.0

Is there anything wrong? Thanks
    edited 2009-03-27 15:59
    The voltages don't tell you very much other than that the regulator on the module appears to be working.

If you look in the Stamp Manual where it shows how to connect a Stamp module to a DB9 connector for programming, you'll see that the control lines DSR and RTS are connected together. This is what the "feedback" display tests, simply whether this jumper is present. "Echo" verifies that data sent to the Stamp is echoed back to the PC. This is a result of the way the transmit and receive interface works on the Stamp module. It doesn't check whether the Stamp's processor is working. The only way that can be tested is to attempt to identify or download to the Stamp and you're getting the "No Stamps Found" message. Most likely, now that you've checked your setup, the Stamp module is not operating.

As I've said before, the most common causes of the "No Stamps Found" message are 1) No power or inadequate power to the Stamp and 2) Serial connection not working properly. There has to be a low-latency (low delays) serial data connection between the PC and the Stamp and the DTR handshaking line has to be working.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-03-27 23:13
    Iamalex,

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, but it sounds like you might have a broken BS2 module. Can you please call me to set up an return or send an email to support@parallax.com with the following information.

First Name
    Last Name
    Phone
    Address

I will set an account up for you to receive an Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) from that information and we can determine what happened to the module and take proper actions to get you up and running.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-03-28 02:46
    iamalex

How can You beat this kind of Tech. Support ????

________$WMc%______

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-03-28 15:17
    Atta boy .......Joshua!!!!
    edited 2009-03-28 20:05
    Thank you all your guys very much.
    I contacted the Ebay seller, and I am going to return the BS2 chip back to exchange a new one. Hope the new one will works.