Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I ran 5 volts into the data pin of a 2x16 LCD... — Parallax Forums

I ran 5 volts into the data pin of a 2x16 LCD...

patchespatches Posts: 15
edited 2009-03-27 00:13 in BASIC Stamp
...by hooking it up to Vin instead of P15. Oops!

Now the screen just shows a single sad dash when I power it up (its test mode works fine).

So- any chance of fixing it? Seems like a shame to toss it.

And yes... lesson learned!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-24 01:56
    If you hooked it up to Vin, you probably subjected the LCD to more than 5V. Vin is normally connected to a power supply furnishing at least 6V and more typically 7.5V or more. That's enough to damage the input circuitry.
  • patchespatches Posts: 15
    edited 2009-03-24 16:09
    You're correct Mike, the power supply is 9V. I used a voltmeter to check if it was hot yesterday and measured 5, but I was being sloppy.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-03-25 17:56
    Patches,

Some good news for you,·Parallax offers a 1/2 off replacement for modules we manufacturer. So you can send it in for recycling and get a 1/2 off credit for a new one. If you wanted to do so, please call me at 888-997-8267 and ask for Josh; I will set up the RMA and get a new module out to you.

We offer this because accidents happen from time to time, but you got the lesson out of it, so it is still a good mistake.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-03-27 00:13
    Good info Joshua! Thanks!

patches - thanks for posting - we all learned something!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney