Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RF Radio Controller Wireless Control for Basic Stamp - HOW TO — Parallax Forums

RF Radio Controller Wireless Control for Basic Stamp - HOW TO

ndillanendillane Posts: 10
edited 2009-03-27 22:13 in BASIC Stamp
I bought this item on ebay and believed it might come with some documentation

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350169646070&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IE:31

has any body come across this or have any idea where I might started

I have a BS2P40 on the Pro Dev Board

Much appreciated
Noel

Comments

• rixterrixter Posts: 95
    edited 2009-03-24 03:57
    Noel,

Yes, I've purchased this item and tested it on a BASIC Stamp but have yet to implement it in a project. I was activating LEDs from two rooms away from where the project was. I did not see how far away this would actually work.

You supply 5V Vdd from your BASIC Stamp to pin VCC on the mini circuit board supplied with the RF wireless package and run GND on this same board to VSS on your BASIC Stamp. Pins D0 thru D3 on the mini board are used for your signals that are activated with the A, B, C & D buttons on the remote. Interestingly, they are the reverse of what you would expect. So button A activates pin D3 and button D actives pin D0. What this device does is to "allow" a current to flow at the pin activated. You can then monitor this condition at your BASIC Stamp pins to control program functions. Understand that by default, the activation of these pins on the board are like throw type toggle switches... not momentary contact switches. So to deactivate the pin, you must press the corresponding remote button again. So they are ON-OFF toggle switches. For my purposes, I was interested in a momentary contact type switch activated remotely. There is really no documentation to speak of for this product that I could locate and the place selling them had little to offer more than what was on their site. Below is what they sent me when I asked if the switching action was configurable. My way to tackle this was to implement a loop that monitors the pins for an activation caused by the pressing of any of the remote buttons. Included in this loop is a planned interruption of the current flow to VCC so the board goes unpowered. I figured out that the switches resort back to "OFF" when power is interrupted. So the loop basically is as follows:

1) allow power to the board
    2) check each board pin for an activation... and act accordingly
    3) cut off power to the board
    4) repeat

I used a BASIC Stamp pin to control supply power to the board with a HIGH or LOW command, but isolated a direct connection to the BS2 pin by using a switching transistor to allow 5V from Vdd to the board. This little board draws about 3mA, but I don't think it's a very good idea to power stuff off of a BS2 pin even if you could. Someone else may be able to chime in on a better idea there than what I did.

If you need code samples, let me know.

Rick

Here below is the additional information provided by Virtual Village:

This high frequency receiver module is high Q value electrically produced by imported SMD appliance and 6.5G triode. The performance is stable and reliable. It is highly sensitive and can be used with decoding IC. The power dissipation is low. It can be widely used for various guarding system and remote control system.

A. Application Range
    a. 6 digital wireless receiver and guarding alarm signal receiver
    b. Industrial remote control, measurement and sensing
    c. Various kinds of remote control for home appliances

B. Technical Indicators
    a. Working voltage: 5.0VDC+_0.5V
    b. Working electric current: <=3mA (5.0VDC)
    c. Working rationale: superregeneration
    d. Type of modulation: 00K/ASK
    e. Frequency range: 250MHz-450 MHz
    f. Bandwidth: 2MHz (315MHz, tested when sensitivity declines 3dBm)
    g. Sensitivity: better than -105dBm (50 )
    h. Rate: <5Kbps (315MHz, -95dBm)
    i. Outcoming signal: lock or movement
    j. Length of antenna: 24cm (315MHz), 18cm (433.92MHz)

C. Size and Pin Definition

D. Attention

a. The antenna is made of flexible circuit conductor or other hard metal (such as telescopic antenna). The length is about 20cm (315MHz) or 18cm (434MHz). Please stretch it when using and do not get it near metal object.
    b. The power voltage should be stable. The ripple coefficient should be low and it requires multilevel filtration by adding beads, inductance and capacitance etc.
    c. If it is used with singlechip, it is suggested that the MCU timepiece frequency is below 4MHz and keep the crystalloid as faraway from RF receiver module as possible. Otherwise the ultraharmonics of the crystalloid would affect the communication distance.
    d. Please make sure the rates and code formats of the coding IC and decoding IC are the same, otherwise the communication distance would be affected even to the extent of being disabled.
  • ndillanendillane Posts: 10
    edited 2009-03-24 19:26
    Rixter

Thanks very much for this information - this will really help get me started.

Virtual village sent me the same info as they sent you but not of much use for programming purposes.

I'd appreciate code samples if you have them handy

tks
    Noel
    edited 2009-03-25 03:38
    Noel,

Attached is a photo of a typical temporary hookup of this device to a HomeWork board. Vdd from BASIC Stamp to VCC on the module, VSS on the Stamp to GND on the module. Then I ran 220 ohm resistors from the module's pins D0 thru D3 to BASIC Stamp pins P3 thru P0 respectively. Recall that D3 will correspond to button A, D2 to button B and so forth. The HomeWork board protects the pins with built-in 220 ohm resistors, but it's a good habit to get into protecting the pin connections with resistors.

The following code will illustrate the pressing of each button and how the status at the BASIC Stamp pins changes from 0 to 1 and back as you press each button. Your programs then could test for the state of these pins and act accordingly. Incidentally, I put this module on my kitchen counter and went to the corner of my property and activated a button and the module it picked it up. So my test goes out to over 100 feet without problems.

Let me know you results.

Rick

' {$STAMP BS2} ' of course this directive line must match your particular Stamp
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DEBUG CLS,CR,"Button A= ",CR,"Button B= ",CR,"Button C= ",CR,"Button D= "

start:

DEBUG CRSRXY, 10,1, DEC IN0
    DEBUG CRSRXY, 10,2, DEC IN1
    DEBUG CRSRXY, 10,3, DEC IN2
    DEBUG CRSRXY, 10,4, DEC IN3

GOTO start
    1014 x 760 - 462K
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2009-03-25 09:11
    I've got 1/2 dozen of them, I've had really good luck even in industrial environments.
    I wist they were momentary contact instead of 'toggle' action, programming my own toggle is easier than trying to simulate momentary contact.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Smile ... It increases your face value!
    edited 2009-03-25 12:03
    MrBi1,

I agree with you on that. If I were stranded on an electronic island with one switch wish, it would be for a momentary contact switch. It is easier to use your program to have a momentary contact action change a variable to get the toggle result. The additional issue you could have with this board is if you desired a combination of switch types with your four signals. The simulated momentary contact switch solution I presented in my first post that interrupts power to the board as a way to "reset" all of the switches to the OFF position is an "all or nothing" proposition. So you would have to combine the two concepts.... power interruption to make all of the signals act like momentary contact switches and then use program variables to track toggling for those signals that you desire a toggle switch-like action.

Rick
  • ndillanendillane Posts: 10
    edited 2009-03-27 22:13
    Thanks again guys
    I have a load of sensors and bits and pieces I am working with at the moment - having great fun
    Appreciate your help
    tks
    Noel