Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$GPRMB and destination point — Parallax Forums

$GPRMB and destination point

mechanomechano Posts: 8
edited 2009-03-23 13:14 in BASIC Stamp
dear all

how are you

nice to come back again to this forum

dear administartor plz dont remove the links below because·they are required to explain my problem (thanks in advance)

first let me give simple explanation about my problem

through GPS NMEA 0183 we can read many thing but here i will use only two $GPRMC & $GPRMB

it is useful to use these two codes for guiding any vehicle through many waypoints

most of the projects that i found are using GARMIN prodects like Legend Vista

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~weg22/gpsEmaxx/gpsEmaxx.html

in the above link we can find all the details of $GPRMC & $GPRMB strings

my problem is :

Q1
the destination point was set by saving it in the GARMIN device

but if we are using any other GPS· moule like PARALLAX GPS Module how to set the destination point ?

Q2
also it is look like that the destination point LAT & LNG in $GPRMB can be sent to the satellite and we can get after that the bearing

and range to destination directly , is this possible ? imagine if this is possible then no need for calculating these things during the

program and then we can save a big effort and processor ram and time.

see this as an example

http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A625

and his code

http://www.longtail.com/BasicStampUAV.zip

that was nice project but it is waste of processor time and ram··· freaked.gif·
^
^
^
^
^
^

so any ideas plz· hop.gif

thanks

have a nice day

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-23 13:02
    You can't set the destination point. There isn't one. A GPS receiver normally is a passive device. It receives signals from a group of satellites and computes the position of the receiver based on the timing information from the satellites. A basic GPS receiver can be combined with another processor to make a more complex GPS receiver like some of the Garmin products that takes the position information along with destination information and can compute bearing and range to the destination. Some products have built-in map storage and can use the position information to locate the receiver on a map and even give directions based on the map and a specified destination.

Parallax sells a basic GPS receiver with a simple processor included that can extract basic time and position information from the raw GPS datastream and present it in a simplified form. If you want something more sophisticated, you'd need to combine a basic GPS receiver with a larger, faster, more expensive processor or buy one already with the features you want.
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-03-23 13:14
    I don't think the Parallax GPS has anyway to set waypoint. So you would need to load those to the BS as data. Maybe use a USB thumbdrive to store the data.