Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheaper GPS module? — Parallax Forums

Cheaper GPS module?

GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
edited 2009-04-08 01:03 in BASIC Stamp
I was wondering if there is a cheaper solution for GPS modules. In comparison a fully features GPS system can cost ~120$, then the GPS module itself must be cheaper. And to not start a flame, I know that the 90$ module comes with the easy interface and support, but I need the cheapest, not simplest solution. The project I am making (for the ISEF) is costing me ~3500$ so anythign to lower that will be great.

Comments

• rixterrixter Posts: 95
    edited 2009-03-24 04:24
    GeorgeL,

I suppose it depends on your goals. Many a BASIC Stamp project can find the cost getting beyond what someone else's commercial product provides for less. I purchased the Parallax GPS module some time ago with the hopes of creating a bike route tracking device. After tackling memory storage issues, GPS error correction issues, battery issues and shock prevention issues, I found a device on the internet for about $50 that did exactly what I was trying to create. It's called an i-gotU and it couldn't be any easier to use or be more accurate and it's about 1 inch by 2 inches in size. But no where near the amount of "fun" I had trying to make my own. Any BASIC Stamp will set you back at least $50 and the GPS module another $90. So low volume inventions in this area are not going to be cost effective. This i-gotU device can also be used with PC navigation software, so there may be some way to tap into the thing for polling GPS data. But you can't beat your own invention for flexibility and special features.

Some time ago I picked up a three pack of GPS modules on eBay from former police vehicles. I think I paid $14 for the three. Although I never got around to playing with them, they had ample documentation and theoretically could be attached to a micro processor and have the GPS data parsed from them. These required external antennas that I never obtained. I also never investigated how small of an antenna could be used.

Rick
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2009-03-24 05:16
    Dear GeorgeL,

Parallax will soon be stocking the GPS module used in our 28146, in raw form with a cable. Very easy to interface.

Projected price is $35-39. Today we ordered 1K units from the Taiwanese supplier and they are expected to arrive at Parallax within 3-4 weeks at the most.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-04-07 04:35
    Hi, are the GPS units coming soon? Im really excited to order some!
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2009-04-08 01:03
    put me on the waiting list.....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Smile ... It increases your face value!