Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 operated home — Parallax Forums

BS2 operated home

StormKing09StormKing09 Posts: 29
edited 2009-03-26 22:47 in BASIC Stamp
idea.gif·I'm thinking about creating a supercomputer of 20 basic stamps to automate and secure a home. I want to know what you think.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Timothy C. Gonzales

Post Edited (thefulcrum22) : 3/20/2009 5:52:53 PM GMT

Comments

• JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-03-20 18:10
    It will be an awesome project to see in the Completed Projects forum, that is for sure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-03-20 20:41
    How did you arive at the number 20 for this project?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
  • FearTurtlesFearTurtles Posts: 89
    edited 2009-03-21 00:16
    I think it would be neat to see it done but it is not a practical route to go. You would do much better to go with propeller chips instead.
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2009-03-21 02:23
    Maybe you can come up with a replacement for the following
    http://www.cc-concepts.com/hcsii/
    It's what I got started with right when it was discontinued...
    -dan
  • StormKing09StormKing09 Posts: 29
    edited 2009-03-23 00:02
    Thanks for the replies guys. I arrived at 20 because I was going to make a 20 BS2 supercomputer first.smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy C. Gonzales
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-03-23 05:48
    I remember someone made a 10 BS2 super computer. It makes fun sounds and lights, this would be more practical, but I would go with 5 BS2's
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-23 06:51
    Look in the completed projects forum, right near the top for Basic Stamp Supercomputer. Plenty there to get you started.
    edited 2009-03-23 14:23
    thefulcrum22 said...
    idea.gif·I'm thinking about creating a supercomputer of 20 basic stamps to automate and secure a home. I want to know what you think.

What I think?

How deep are your pockets?

20 BS2 @ $44.10 is $882.00
    20 Carrier boards @15.99 is 319.80

$1201.00 just to get started.smhair.gif

You will need alot more hardware to automate and secure a house.

But it would be a nice project to do, I don't think you will need 20 stamps to do it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

edited 2009-03-23 21:06
    actually I'm going to be using 20 BOEs and 2 BS2p40's and 1 BS2px and 17 BS2sx's. so that's actually going to be running up to over $2000.00.
    edited 2009-03-23 22:08
    Like I said DEEP pockets...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

edited 2009-03-24 02:20
    These pics are what inspired my idea of a BASIC Stamp controlled house:attachment.php?attachmentid=56828
    attachment.php?attachmentid=56827

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-03-24 02:36
    Yeah, I read the Basic stamp supercomputer thread. I would start a home automation/security project small then build up.

Say you want to turn on/off lights, start with the X-10 control, get some lights working, see what you can do with the program, tweek it, perfect it and then move to the next step.

Then you can go with temp control, maybe set up zones for heat/cool.

Security is a big issue these days, PIR and entry contact switches will do nicely.

Each of these systems can work independently of each other, maybe have one central control console to monitor and communicate with functions you want control over.

There is a lot of wiring to do with a project this big or you may chose to go wireless, another level of complexity, either way its a big undertaking.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

edited 2009-03-24 02:42
    Those are some good ideas. But right now I'm only going to build the supercomputer because I cannot get a house yet (to young), so I'm working on getting the stuff right now. I will keep your ideas in mind though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-03-24 14:46
    Listen to the group before you spent a nickel of your allowance on this project.
    So far it sounds too ambitious and also vague.
    Keep in mind that big hobby projects have a tendency not to get finished. They either get over your head or you get bored with repetitive tasks.
    Controlling one light bulb and two dozen of them is pretty much repetitive after you write the code.

How about posting a project you have completed.
    Than the discussion will have more merit to it.

edited 2009-03-24 21:36
    true. it is going to be very difficult. But I like taking on extremely difficult challenges.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-24 22:30
    I wanted to chime in here for a good reason…I think you project has merit and could be realized using BASIC Stamps depending on the complexity. I know this because I actually did this very thing back in 2004 using BS2p40 modules. While I never implemented the system fully (mainly because I moved to CA from NY the next year) I did test its functionality and practicality on some individual sub-systems. The whole thing started from a BS2p40-based alarm system I had built. I got the idea that I’d like to be able to control and detect more than what I had with the alarm system. Plus I didn’t want to have to go to the living room when I was already in bed just to set the alarm mode.

Anyway, to make a long story short I designed a BS2p40-based home controller which would allow you to control any connected appliance/device in any room from any other room. Each room would have a BS2p40 controller and the necessary I/O drivers to handle the devices in that room. For my first tests I used some solid-state relays and optos for input. Each room had an LCD display which you could see the status of appliances/devices in that room or you could select a different room and you’d be presented with the status of the devices in that room as well as be able to control appliances/devices there.

So you could be in the bedroom ready for bed and realize you left the front porch light on and without going downstairs to the living room turn it off. Of course, I have the technical background, especially with the BASIC Stamps to pull this off and I experimented by adding up to four ‘rooms’ to play around with the networking code which I derived from concepts covered in an old Nuts & Volts column. Of course the project grew and I kept adding ideas until it was a little much for a BASIC Stamp. But depending on what you are aiming at, you could do it. I think too many immediately turn to the Propeller when a BASIC Stamp will do.

In all fairness my current design would most definitely benefit from the Propeller, but that’s where you have to weigh things based on functionality. One thing I added to my overall design goals is the one thing not fully designed. Imagine being in the bathroom shaving and you hear the doorbell…is it your date arriving early, or is it someone selling vacuum cleaners or magazines? With my new design I would merely press the highlighted doorbell alert icon on the touch screen and I would see live video of who is at the front door as well as hear live audio. If I wanted I could talk to them or even open (unlock) the front door from where I was. Someday…

In the mean time don’t let anyone pull your dreams down. A lot can be done with a BASIC Stamp. Trust me on this. =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-03-25 02:48
    i will

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-03-25 03:35
    I think you have a great idea here and I encourage you to continue.
    It a worthwhile project too, because its educational, inspirational,
    you'll not only learn much from it, but most likely it will spark new
    ideas and creativity and lead you down new and wonderful paths
    that you never dreamed possible before. The value you get in
    return is far greater than the cost for the stamps.

The BSS Supercomputer project began with only two Basic Stamps,
    then 3, 4, and so on. After the first 2 Stamps, everything was add-on.
    20 stamps have a tremendous amount of power (plus the software
    to drive 20 stamps is now available so this is a good starting point for
    your project).

BSS was recently increased with a mix of nearly all Stamp versions.
    Mixing is a good idea because it takes advantage of specific features.
    One of the applications discussed in the BSS thread is the project
    that you are interested in accomplishing.

There are many other processors in this world, but given the ease
    of use, the easy to use programming language (PBASIC), excellent
    documentation and comprehensive support, the Basic Stamp is the
    perfect choice for the BSS project.

I built one project with one stamp that controlled a house. Given the
    knowledge gained from the BSS, multiple stamps would be an ideal
    machine. The parallel software and clustered hardware can watch
    over many sensors and be alert at all times.

There's enough ports to accomplish nearly any idea you have. One
    example on the security side is a motion detector & recording video
    cam, so you know who approached the house when you were gone.

You can also create virtual security windows - stamp controlled for
    security, daytime and nighttime use, to vary the amount of light
    entering, etc. Most of all, I'm glad to see the BSS can be an
    inspiration to others in creating their own multiple stamp projects.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 3/25/2009 3:51:48 AM GMT
    edited 2009-03-25 13:59
    thefulcrum22 said...

Building the 20 Stamp part would be the easy end of things.

thefulcrum22 said...
    Those are some good ideas. But right now I'm only going to build the supercomputer because I cannot get a house yet (to young), so I'm working on getting the stuff right now. I will keep your ideas in mind though.

Getting the house would require a different set of skills.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

edited 2009-03-26 22:47
    yeah, I guess.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔