Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Vista pc with serial Boe board & BS2PX — Parallax Forums

Vista pc with serial Boe board & BS2PX

stavrosstavros Posts: 22
edited 2009-03-20 17:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I tried to connect my serial boe board with a BS2PX on it to my desktop computer(it has a built in com port) which has Windows Vista SP1 installed and when I try to download a basic stamp program from Peditor is says that it didnt find a basic stamp. I tried the exact same configuration on a laptop with Windows XP SP3 and a USB-to-Serial adapter and guess what....it works just fine! Now where is the problem on the desktop pc?

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-03-19 14:40
    Is your Vista PC finding the correct drivers?

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • stavrosstavros Posts: 22
    edited 2009-03-19 14:49
    No it didnt find any drivers.I thought that when there is a serial connection no drivers are needed.Besides the only drivers that you provide is the FTDI for the USB board,right?·What should I do now?
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-03-20 03:05
    Hi, I had a similar issue with Vista , it may have been coincidence but the USB to serial started to work after I went into control panel and manually set the port settings baud rate ( which in your case would be 19200) and com port number .

Jeff T.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-03-20 17:00
    Stavros,

You would want to install the Vista drivers that are made for the USB to Serial Adapter that you are using. Can you verify that the module is installed correctly by reviewing the following: Device Manager => Ports (COM & LPT) => USB to Serial device. Do you see any yellow exclamation (!) next to·the device; if so·this would indicate that the proper driver has not been installed.

Also, which version of the BASIC Stamp Editor do you have installed?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com