Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Long distance ping — Parallax Forums

Long distance ping

PBKPBK Posts: 7
edited 2009-03-19 19:47 in Accessories
Is it possible to use the ping·method to measure long distance, up to·100m?

My project allows sensor both on the robot, and on the home base unit, I need to measure the distance between the two units. I also have RS-485 serial communication between the two units.
The Parallax Ping))) Ultrasonic Sensor only works on short distance, is there any other way, maybe with·a stronger·speaker fx?

Peter

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-16 23:49
    You also would need to focus the beam more narrowly. It would spread out way too far at that sort of distance. You could use a large parabolic reflector with ultrasonic transducers at the focus. It's also possible to make sound lenses, but you'd have to do your own research there ... way out of my league. They would also likely be large to be effective.
  • Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-03-17 07:10
    The maximum range for a Sharp distance measuring sensor is 5 meters, achieved with the GP2Y0A710K0F -· http://www.sharpsma.com/Page.aspx/americas/en/part/GP2Y0A710K0F/. It has an analog output and is rather pricey. Contact an applications engineer at Sharp and see if they have any suggestions for your extended range sensing.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ························ Craig Eid

··········· Triad Research and Development
    Electical Engineering Design and Consulting Services

··················· www.TriadRD.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-19 15:10
    I would say for longer distances like that ultrasonic is not going to work. You’ll probably have to use radar instead. There used to be radar kits available though I haven’t seen one in awhile. You may want to check the laws concerning operating in that band. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • PBKPBK Posts: 7
    edited 2009-03-19 19:47
    Thanks for your reply everybody!

Peter