Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Text Message Modem — Parallax Forums

Text Message Modem

kruegra1kruegra1 Posts: 4
edited 2009-03-16 17:29 in BASIC Stamp
I'm new, and I've read what I can without being further lost in the sea of modems and manufacturers.·

I saw on the projects page called "GPS Vehicle Tracker".· After a bit of reading however, I'm·thinking I can't use the Siemens TC35 modem to send SMS text messages here in the US?· I think I need a CDMA modem (Verizon has the best coverage in my area)?· If this is the case, who has a low cost, low power,·easily integrated (serial commands), and well documented modem that I can integrate with the Basic Stamp.· I'd like to monitor a piece of equipment and have it send text messages to me under specific events.·

Randall

····

Comments

• WolfbrotherWolfbrother Posts: 129
    edited 2009-03-16 17:29
    Hi,

The TC35 Modem you have is based on EGSM900 and GSM1800 frequencies. These are not supported in the U.S. The bands supported are 850 and 1900MHz. Siemens had a name change in the states to Cinterion and now offers a TC65T terminal which is like what you had, but supports all four bands, so you could use it worldwide as long as you had a cellular provider that supported it. The two large GSM carriers here are T-Mobile and AT&T. They also offer some pretty cheap data plans for m2m devices.

Dave