Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Voice module — Parallax Forums

Voice module

mrlidstrommrlidstrom Posts: 2
edited 2010-02-21 04:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!
I'm working on a project right now with the 7 death sins for an artist exibition. We would like to add a pre-recorded voice to each box (one box per sin) that is played/activated by a sensor. I can't find any good modules where·we can record·our voice/message and the·connect it to a speaker and·trigger it·with a sensor. Please give me an idea of where to find this module. I'm living in Sweden, so I would prefer an European supplier (for fast delivery). Price is not an issue!

Thank you for your help!

Magnus Lidström

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-15 14:07
    Quadravox (here: www.quadravox.com/frameset/qvframeset.htm) makes a small sound recorder, the QV606, that interfaces nicely with a Stamp. Parallax used to sell the predecessor to this (the QV306) which I've used in an interactive sculpture. It has its own amplifier (1 1/2 Watts). You can either add some circuitry to your board so the Stamp can do the recording or you can buy Quadravox's control board that attaches to a PC and uses a PC utility to load up the module. I've done it both ways.
  • mrlidstrommrlidstrom Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-15 14:19
    Thank you for the quick response!
    I have started to think about buying some cheap mp3-players (that·I strip down to the IC-board)·and connect them to the Stamp. This as a cheap and "non-professional" solution, but it might work with the right player.

The hard thing is to find a mp3-player with no meny system, so we get right in to the "player mode" at power up.

Magnus Lidström
  • Jeff SteenckenJeff Steencken Posts: 32
    edited 2010-02-20 04:12
    Another interesting voice module is the ELK-124. it has 8 separate channels each triggered separately. It is used in alarm systems. Here is the link to check out.

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-124.htm
    edited 2010-02-20 04:27
    Another excellent and inexpensive MP3 player is the VMusic2 made by FTDI (Vinculum) located in England. It's the same controller as used in the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger except that it has an MP3 decoder added. I used two of these to make a multi-channel voice player for an installation piece:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=677691
  • legoman132legoman132 Posts: 87
    edited 2010-02-20 13:02
    You could also hack the recording modules from greeting cards if the voice isn't to long. Just add an amplifier and bigger speaker. TEST THOROUGHLY
    edited 2010-02-21 04:15
    SparkFun just announced an Arduino shield with a SpeakJet voice synthesizer. Have a look at it on SparkFun's website.