Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD card or Memory stick datalogger with BS2 — Parallax Forums

SD card or Memory stick datalogger with BS2

WolfbrotherWolfbrother Posts: 129
edited 2009-03-19 16:27 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to create a reader that will wait for a input and then move to the next word in a sentence. The one word gets displayed on the Serial LCD based on the input. The library for the words is pretty large, I'm using a small novel, so I am thinking I have to interface to either a SD card ( seem to be available on Ebay ) or the Memory Stick Datalogger ( Available on parallax site) Can anyone tell me which is my easier way to implement this and how I can easily address this devices to read/output long chains of words, one at a time?

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-14 18:43
    I'd use the Datalogger. You already have all the code that you need to interface with it (it's in the documentation), and an SD card setup will require a controller anyway to sit between the BS2 and the SD card.
  • rixterrixter Posts: 95
    edited 2009-03-14 20:40
    I agree with SRLM... I'd use the datalogger. A thumbdrive that is used with the Memory Stick Datalogger is a self-contained USB device with memory where an SD card device that interfaces with the Stamp is one device, then you need the SD card itself and then you'll need another device on the PC for example to store the novel on the SD card. The "Memory Stick Datalogger" is perhaps named deceptively because it's primary use is generally for storing data FROM a micro controller. In fact most discussion on this forum concerning the datalogger relates to storage of data because of the many projects that may gather sensor readings and find the Stamp's memory limited. But I can attest that this device can be used to stuff external text data INTO the Stamp EEPROM just fine as well, which appears to be what you are trying to do. For my project, it was necessary to be able to import different PC TXT files into the BASIC Stamp project while not physically connected to a PC. The number of writes to EEPROM is of course limited. It sounds like your project is similar to mine in that you wouldn't be doing many writes to memory, or maybe you wouldn't be writing to memory at all if you are just processing input and moving on to another device read. I must say that the Memory Stick Datalogger is certainly no speedster when it comes to reading the data and storing it in EEPROM. A significant slice of this time lag is not doubt due to the EEPROM write. I've not tested a read from the device and an immediate write to an LCD. My program reads from the datalogger, writes to EEPROM, then another program slot code reads the EEPROM and displays to LCD depending on other input parameters.

If any of this sounds like what you are trying to do, I'd be glad to provide my relative code segments.

Rick
  • JHRRJHRR Posts: 19
    edited 2009-03-15 21:43
    ·Hello Rick:

············· This sounds like what I have been trying to do with the Memory Stick Data logger.

·············· I would very much appreciate any help with you're code you could give me.

·············· I haven't had much luck with this device.

·············· JHRR

··········

·······

···
  • WolfbrotherWolfbrother Posts: 129
    edited 2009-03-16 16:21
    Rick,

You have described exactly what I need to do. I will definitely use the datalogger. Would you please attach your code examples?

Thanks so much.

Dave
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-19 16:27
    JHRR,

Code examples are available from the product page on our website. I am unable to determine what you mean by not having much luck with the device. What is happening? Does the example code work?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering