Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Latching relay — Parallax Forums

Latching relay

vinnyirlvinnyirl Posts: 6
edited 2009-03-13 16:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I don't know if something like this exists but does anybody know of a latching relay that can switch from one input? I know there are many latching relays available but you need to change the polarity of the coil to switch in the opposite direction. I want to be able to give the realy a pulse and have it switch and stick then when I send a second pulse it will switch back. Unfortunality I can not program this into the Stamp (using BS2) because this is actually turning the stamp off for a time.

The device I am building has two modes auto and manual, auto uses the stamp and manual uses a remote relay. Both the stamp and the relay are connected to the same motor so I need to turn one off to turn the other on.

Thanks

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-03-13 16:12
    What you're looking for is called a mechanical "alternating relay". They are relatively rare (and expensive) but the last one I got was a Potter & Brimfield product. It worked as you described with a single coil that was pulsed to switch from one position to the other.

You can simulate this with a count-to-n chip (sorry, don't havethe part number at the moment). Each push of a button makes the chip count 1, 2, etc. When you reach the top, the counter resets and it repeats. What makes this work is setting the chip to only count to 2. Therefore, a relay connected to counter pin 1 will alternate on and off. However, a certain amount of power is required to hold the relay in, unlike the real alternating relay.

·· New info from a Google search:
    ·Look for a Potter & Brumfield S89R or S90R series Bistable impulse
    relay. About Can$40 from ElectroSonic in Canada.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com

Post Edited (stamptrol) : 3/13/2009 4:23:14 PM GMT