Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Macbook Pro not recognizing stamp after flashing code once! — Parallax Forums

Macbook Pro not recognizing stamp after flashing code once!

danmp2010danmp2010 Posts: 3
edited 2009-03-12 23:04 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I am taking Intrumentation Engineering in college and one of our classes is a microcontrollers course where we use the parallax stamp (with the USB) and basic stamp editor 2.5. I am aware that BS2 is not native MAc software and that a driver is required to run the stamp with the USB connection. However after each time I flash code I need to restart the editor in order for my computer to be able to recognize that the stamp is there. So everytime I want to make a change I have to quit and restart the editor. This is really frustrating and makes it hard to work effectively. Does anyone have an answer to my problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Help would very much be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-12 22:39
    Are you using MacBS2 or are you running a Windows emulator of some sort?

Regardless of which, you need to have the proper driver installed. You can download the proper driver from FTDI's website.

I use a Macbook all the time for both Stamp and Propeller development and use MacBS2 for my Stamp Editor. I've never had problems with it. For the Propeller, I now use BST, a cross platform 3rd party free Propeller compiler/ assembler/ downloader which also works fine with the Macbook.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-03-12 22:50
    Hi Dan,

Your duplicate post has been removed.

I program with a MacBook Pro as well at home. It may be an issue with your drivers, and if this is the case there's a couple things you can check.

1. Before downloading, make sure that there aren't any current drivers named "FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext" in your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.
    2. Make sure you downloaded the right driver from www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm, there's one for OSX and OSX (Intel based).

Hope this helps!

Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • danmp2010danmp2010 Posts: 3
    edited 2009-03-12 22:50
    I am using Mac BS2. No windows emulator, Mac OS leapord. I have the driver as I said it works once but wont do it after I flash once, I have to restart.
  • danmp2010danmp2010 Posts: 3
    edited 2009-03-12 23:02
    Hey Thanks for the timely responses, but I already had that driver. However I did delete and download the intel mac os x one on the link you sent me. I'm pretty sure its the same driver...
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-12 23:04
    I would reinstall the driver. You could also reinstall MacBS2 (and re-download a fresh copy of each). Like I said, I've never had problems with MacBS2. I use either FTDI USB to serial adapters or the Keyspan High Speed Serial adapter and I've not seen the problem you describe.