Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
School project! need help! — Parallax Forums

School project! need help!

asianjunasianjun Posts: 2
edited 2009-03-14 04:19 in BASIC Stamp
I am extremely new to circuits and things related to it, but i have a project for school and i need assistance on how to program a basic stamp to act as a receiver for a sensor and interpret data to sense distance and direction.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-12 05:38
    Parallax has lots of information available to help you. The tutorials can be found by going to the main Parallax webpage and clicking on the Resources tab, then choosing the Downloads link, then the Stamps in Class Downloads link (to here: www.parallax.com/tabid/535/Default.aspx). Start with "What's a Microcontroller?".

If you're using Parallax sensors, the webstore page for the product always has links to documentation and sample code for the product.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-03-12 11:29
    Do you have the sensor ? What kind of sensor is it ? Ultrasonic ? InfraRed ?

Do you have a basic stamp ? If so which one ? BS2, BS2sx, BS2px, etc.

Do you have any code written ? Do you have a flowchart ? Do you have a plan ?

Tell us something like:
    · I need to connect a Ping ultrasonic sensor to a BS2p and display the distance measured on a parallax serial LCD.

· Here is my plan:
    ··· 1) Initialize LCD
    ··· 2) Read Ping sensor
    ··· 3) Convert reading to inches
    ··· 4) Display inches on the LCD
    ··· 5) Goto step 2

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    There is a fine line between arrogance and confidence. Make sure you don't cross it...

·
  • asianjunasianjun Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-14 04:01
    I don't know what sensor to use, but my idea is to use an RF, i do not have a basic stamp in mind. i do not have a code written, i need help with that, i just have the idea of what i want it to do.

my plan is to

1. Initialize lcd
    (possibly attach some sort of sound emitter)
    2. Read ping sensor
    3. Convert reading to feet
    4. Display on lcd
    5. triangulate direction
    5. Display on Lcd

Basically, in my project is two parts, the thing that locates(base) and device that is supposed to be located(source). The base will send a signal to the source and the source will send a signal back. The base will interpret the data to figure out distance and location. it will then be displayed on an lcd showing Distance in Feet two one decimal place and the direction in 2d(i want 3d but its complicated).
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-14 04:12
    First off, you might want to go a little bit simpler on the project. If it was easy to figure out your position, we'd have much more accurate and prolific devices for locating items in space.

That said, take a look at this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=791053

You can't use the Ping))) from Parallax to triangulate direction as you're thinking. While ultrasonic is a valid option for this type of assignment, the Ping is intended to measure reflected distances, not single path distances (one way). Whatever method you choose, though, you'll need a microcontroller. The BS2 series might work for you, as will many other microcontrollers. However, you posted in the Basic Stamp forum so the implication was that you're using a BS model.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-14 04:19
    The PING))) is not really designed for that purpose. It contains both the ultrasonic transmitter and receiver and measures the time for the transmitted signal to go out, be reflected by some object or surface, and return to the receiver. The object is just a passive reflective surface. Look at the PING)))-DAR documentation and movie clips (http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=590115).