Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe bot home alarm system upgrade — Parallax Forums

Boe bot home alarm system upgrade

LogicalsifterLogicalsifter Posts: 12
edited 2009-03-12 13:56 in BASIC Stamp
Hello everbody its been sometime time since i'd played with my boe bot, and today i got my boe bot back up and running and i wanted to upgrade my boe bot in to an room/home alarm system useing these Sensors(PING))) Mounting Bracket Kit,PINK Parallax Internet Netburner Kit,BASIC Stamp 2p 24-Pin Module,Introduction to Sensors Kit. Now my question is can i use all these Sensors simultaneous on my Board of Education Development Board?

Any input would be appreciated.

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 3/12/2009 11:12:09 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-12 02:52
    Sure

The PING))) and its mounting bracket / servo is designed to be used with the BoeBot. The BS2p is a little faster than the BS2, so you'll have to use different timing constants. The BASIC Stamp Manual has all the information on the values needed for the BS2p. The main cases you have to deal with are the serial I/O Baud constants used in the SERIN / SEROUT statements and the pulse timing for servo motor control with the PULSOUT statement. Most of the demo programs are written for the BS2 and the constants would have to be changed for the BS2p. Some programs already will configure themselves for the proper processor if you recompile them with the Stamp Editor. There are conditional compilation statements at the beginning of the program if so.

The PINK isn't really a sensor. It does talk to the Stamp using the SERIN / SEROUT statements. The documentation is pretty complete. Just be sure to use the proper Baud constant for the BS2p.

You can certainly use other sensors as well. The limiting factor is usually the availability of I/O pins to use for the sensor. The compass and accelerometer each need 3 I/O pins. The PIR sensor needs one, and the PING))) needs one. The servo on the bracket needs one. The PINK needs 2. The BoeBot itself normally uses 2 for the wheel servos. If you're also using the IR detectors/emitters, that's another 2 for each one. That's one too many. You could probably drive both IR emitters from a single I/O pin and just fit everything in that way.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 3/12/2009 3:09:01 AM GMT
  • LogicalsifterLogicalsifter Posts: 12
    edited 2009-03-12 13:56
    kool thinks mike i'm just going to order everthing and just have fun with this. Thanks for all your input. OH i wanted to use the pink to send via email to like a cell phone or computer letting me know that something tripping the Sensors. but like i said i well see wheni order the parts and play around with the programming.

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 3/12/2009 11:12:24 PM GMT