Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Program STAMP wirelessly using BlueTooth? — Parallax Forums

Program STAMP wirelessly using BlueTooth?

The DoctorThe Doctor Posts: 37
edited 2009-03-19 14:11 in BASIC Stamp
Has anyone discovered a way to program a STAMP using Bluetooth, either using the eb500 EmbeddedBlue Transceiver AppMod or something like the FireFly:

http://www.ipenabled.com/bluetooth-rs232.html

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• NetHogNetHog Posts: 104
    edited 2009-03-12 14:45
    In theory, you should just be able to purchase the pair

As far as the STAMP is concerned, it expects to be talking to what it thinks is a serial cable connected to the serial port.
    This serial cable, for example, could be a "USB to Serial" or "Bluetooth to Serial" connector.

Now that said, if your computer has bluetooth support, you only need one half of the pair (e.g. http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/)

At $100/each-$150/pair, this seems an expensive way to program the STAMP.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-12 14:54
    You can't directly program a Stamp over Bluetooth. The inherent delays in the Bluetooth protocol prevent it from working. There was one product (Flexipanel Toothpick - Stamp version), now no longer available, that would work, but it had a built-in processor with enough memory to hold the complete program. You could compile your Stamp program to a file on your PC, transfer it over Bluetooth to this device using a utility program, and the device would then program the Stamp automatically under control of the PC utility program.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 3/12/2009 3:02:04 PM GMT
  • NetHogNetHog Posts: 104
    edited 2009-03-12 15:07
    Good point Mike...

So the Stamp has a timeout during receive then? Or is it a handshake timeout?
    edited 2009-03-12 15:11
    I don't remember the details. The protocol is described in a document that's part of the Stamp Tokenizer download from Parallax.
  • roadrunner3groadrunner3g Posts: 36
    edited 2009-03-19 12:00
    there is one that has been tested that works the GBS301 with some modifications. goto trcy.org bluetooth experiments page for details. i got a similar one (bt rs232 adapter dte) and tried it and it didn't work. com port, baud ok. Rx/Tx didn't function. if there is something I can do to make mine work let me know!!!
    edited 2009-03-19 14:11
    roadrunner3g,
    There is simply no way to use any wireless link to directly program a Stamp.

That said, it is possible to write your own programs on both the PC side and the Stamp side to transfer a program from the PC to the Stamp and, on any Stamp with multiple program "slots" like the BS2p, write the program to one of the extra slots, then execute it. You cannot use the Stamp Editor to do this and you can't use the built-in Stamp downloader. You have to save the program from the Stamp Editor as a file, then use that as a data file.

You can also use a 2nd Stamp as a programming controller as described here: www.emesystems.com/BS2clone.htm

Still, you cannot simply substitute a wireless link for a wired link for programming a Stamp.