Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beginner needs help to solve communication error problem with USB adapter and B — Parallax Forums

Beginner needs help to solve communication error problem with USB adapter and B

TMGTMG Posts: 6
edited 2009-03-08 13:03 in BASIC Stamp
My homework board works just fine with the RS232 cable and my desktop computer.· But, I needed the freedom of using my laptop, so I bought a USB adapter from Parallax, (http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/ProductID/93/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName)· for $14.99.·

This adapter uses a smaller port then what I understand to be a USB port.· I understand the USB port to be that port on the side of my laptop which is about 1/2" wide.· This adapter uses a much smaller port, about 1/4".· As a result, the required cable would have a USB sized plug on one end, and this smaller plug on the other end.· My PDA uses the same cable for backup purposes with my laptop, so I grabbed that cable to make the connections.

When I plug it all together, I see a red light flash a few times on the adapter, then a green light comes on and stays on.· When I run "Identify", it shows the basic stamp, on Com 5, and the other information is exactly the same as on my desktop.

I happen to be using a Memsic 2125 accelerometer, which I bought from Parallax, and which worked just fine last week on my desktop.· I didn't unwire the board, so I feel it remains as directed on the tutorial download.

When I run the program, the "download progress" popup comes up and I can see a green light for a brief time.· Then an error message comes up "Hardware Communication Error! Check serial cable and power supply".· I've rebotted and replugged several times, to no avail.·

The battery is almost brand new, so I don't think it is the battery.

I'm pretty sure it's the cable somehow.· But I don't know how to select another cable.· As described, they all look the same to me.· Again, I'm using the cable that came with my PDA.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Terry

Comments