Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can a BOE with a BS2 be used to program a PIC16f84? — Parallax Forums

Can a BOE with a BS2 be used to program a PIC16f84?

AsurakuAsuraku Posts: 1
edited 2009-03-07 22:10 in BASIC Stamp
I'm basically looking to program a PIC without having to buy much in the way of parts. And I'm on a mac, so finding a decent (working) work around from serial to USB has been difficult. Is there any way to connect my PIC16F84 into the BOE and use the board to program it (I have the USB BOE)?

Thanks in advance for any help or resources!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-07 22:10
    Microchip has an In Circuit Serial Programming Guide that describes how to do the necessary voltage switching for Vdd and Vpp and describes the format of the serial I/O that has to be done to program a PIC16F84A. A Stamp could do it if you had the necessary external circuitry. You're going to have to do a lot of work yourself. The voltage switches are not complicated, but will take some work. You'll have to do the programming yourself, again not hard, but some work.

Frankly, I'd suggest getting a PICkit1 or PICkit2 from Microchip. There is software available for the Mac that's not convenient, but does work with these programmers from Microchip. I've got a MacBook and that's what I've done for working with PICs.