Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Self Built Cheap sensors that work. — Parallax Forums

Self Built Cheap sensors that work.

EzsynnEzsynn Posts: 119
edited 2009-03-07 11:00 in Accessories
I'm aware that you can make your own pressure sensor for a lot less...
Is there any other sensors you can make by using D.I.Y.?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
BWIN ON DA POWAH WIFIN U!!!
(This means the Plutonium Isotope Nuclear Fission And Fusion Reactor Battery Pack you've been hiding inside your jacket!!!)

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-03-06 21:00
    You probably won't get much help with this post, Ezsynn. I'll explain why. First, you are asking others to do your research and we all know that's very easy to do with Google. Next, people need to feel that they are helping somebody who will help themselves, and that their time and energy spent assisting you is going to result in an equal and better effort and result on your part. I haven't read much on the forums lately but I think others may have made these same points to you.

You found your way here, which shows some interest. Now, let's turn that interest to results!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-06 23:03
    You can make a sensor to sense pretty much anything you want. However, it will probably involve precise machining and intricate design. For example, you could make a compass by placing a powerful magnet at the end of an aluminum rod, and measuring (via a pot) the amount of rotation that you get.

Anyway, I agree with Ken: have a project in mind and a feasible idea, and if you get stuck you can ask for help. Of course, I'm sure many of the people on here would be willing to do professional consulting for a special forum member discount of $200/hr ...
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-03-07 01:10
    SRLM said...
    ...professional consulting for a special forum member discount of $200/hr.
    Hey, waaaaait a minute! 'You mean to tell me that professional consultants get $200 and up? (Wow, I've been living in the sticks too long.)

-Phil
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-07 01:16
    According to James Huselton in this thread (his last post near the bottom), he gets $200 professionally, although he did drop it down to $30 for a forum member. I guess I aimed a little high...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=787639
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-03-07 02:38
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    SRLM said...
    ...professional consulting for a special forum member discount of $200/hr.
    Hey, waaaaait a minute! 'You mean to tell me that professional consultants get $200 and up? (Wow, I've been living in the sticks too long.)

-Phil
    Hey Phil,

As far as I am concerned, anyone who can turn Prop Stick·PCBs·into cat food is worth $210 an hour...

@ Ezsynn

You might find some ideas here - http://www.robotroom.com/index.html#SENSORS

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/7/2009 2:44:47 AM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2009-03-07 05:20
    Whit,

Don't forget the tooling and setup fee for just showing up at someone's house before you do any of the actual work. smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • EzsynnEzsynn Posts: 119
    edited 2009-03-07 11:00
    Hmmm... Interesting Research eh?
    This would be quite a challenge.
    Oh well, make magazines are available at kinokuniya. (it's a book store)
    Where ever that is you would ask.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BWIN ON DA POWAH WIFIN U!!!
    (This means the Plutonium Isotope Nuclear Fission And Fusion Reactor Battery Pack you've been hiding inside your jacket!!!)