Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RSSI and ADC converter trouble — Parallax Forums

RSSI and ADC converter trouble

jtaylor408jtaylor408 Posts: 15
edited 2009-03-06 20:46 in BASIC Stamp
I am having trouble hooking up the RSSI pin on the receiver and the ADC chip. The parallax documentation are quite vague on this. My goal is to find the signal strength, but I don't know how to connect the pins or what the circuit diagram looks like. I am also lost on the code to get from analog to a digital information. The ADC I'm using is the ADC0831 8-bit A/D converter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-06 20:46
    Hello,

The documentation we provide for the module is vague on RSSI because it is not a feature added to the module but an option on the chipset we have simply brought out to a pin for convenience. The datasheet for the LINX chip has the details of that feature, however I will mention that the RSSI signal is proportional to any RF signal received, not just the one you’re looking for. So there may be another RF source transmitting which is being measured by the RSSI pin and you would have no way to know if it was the one you were looking for (your transmitter).

As for the ADC0831 we have several examples of reading this device using a BS2 and any of them would provide the ground layer for measuring RF signal strength. If you down the free PDF of the Stamp Works manual from our website you can find and example circuit and code for the ADC0831. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering