Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Printer Margins Again — Parallax Forums

Printer Margins Again

ccevtccevt Posts: 10
edited 2009-03-07 04:11 in BASIC Stamp
I believe I asked about this a couple years back, but never got a real answer or solution. In every Stamp Editor version through 2.4.2, I can not figure out how to make the "Left margin:" field in the print set up window function. What is the proper format, units of measure, etc. I print many pages of BS2 family programs and it sure would be helpful to have enough left margin to allow use a 3 hole punch without punching out important program information. Am I the only one who needs this capability? If it is a problem with the program, what would it take to get work on a fix raised to a higher priority level?

Great products, great programs, great support. It is just this darn thorn that makes life more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks, N1HC

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-03-06 01:35
    I have Version 2.2 of the I-D-E and if I select File from the Toolbar and Print from the pull-down menu, I get a "Print" window with some boxes to select and·a special box labelled "Left Margin" where you can type in a margin (in inches.)
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2009-03-06 02:04
    It would be nice to adjust the left margin.· I get the same "Print" window, but entering a margin has no effect.

PJ, have you had any success in actually adjusting the margin?
    edited 2009-03-06 03:03
    I've never printed a program.· I'm trying to do so in response, but my DeskJet cartridges have gone dry from non-use.· (Last time this happened, daubbing them with some isopropyl revived them, but not so this time.)
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2009-03-06 04:50
    I have 2.4.2 of the IDE and entering 5 (yikes!) into that window on the print screen has no effect on the left margin; it's still smashed up against the left side of the paper.

Searching the manual for margin settings was to no avail.

It appears that this bit of the IDE does not work.

Regards,

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Instead of:

"Those who can, do.· Those who can't, teach." (Shaw)
    I prefer:
    "Those who know, do.· Those who understand, teach." (Aristotle)

Post Edited (davejames) : 3/6/2009 4:35:20 PM GMT
    edited 2009-03-06 11:49

What if you enter 5.0" or 5" instead of just 5?

Otherwise, it's in 3 (2.2, 2.3, 2.4) versions and has no use?
    edited 2009-03-06 16:29
    Would never say it has no use, but I'm not overly surprised that something within the IDE doesn't work - especially a bit like the left margin setting that potentially doesn't recieve much attention anyway.

Case in point...I just finished verifying 11 bug fixes in our (my day job) new software. During one of these, I discovered what I thought was another bug. Come to find out that this particular bug had existed since version 4 and we're soon to release this v5.4 with (4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3) in between, each with individual mini-updates (4.8.1, 4.8.2, etc.).

There are over 3,500 systems installed worldwide and nobody complained.

Pretty amazing.

I'll try the 5.0 tonight and let you know.

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Instead of:

I prefer:
    ·
    edited 2009-03-06 16:39
    If it doesn't work then it has no use.

5.0" (??)

Post Edit -- No joy by adding the ".· Left-margin looking real appendage-like vestigial from my p-o-v.· Left-margin works good in MS-Notepad, just cut-&-paste.· Would well that my life were so blessed that this would constitute a "thorn."

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 3/6/2009 5:30:07 PM GMT
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2009-03-06 18:05
    You can also open the stamp code in the propeller editor, and uncheck syntax print to not show the colored background. The left indent works with the propeller tool.

edited 2009-03-07 03:58
    OK - did the experiment with 5, 5.0, and 5.0" all to no avail; the output was up against the left side of the paper. So again, it would appear that this aspect of the PBASIC IDE 'File -> Print' does not work.

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Instead of:

I prefer:
    ·
  • ccevtccevt Posts: 10
    edited 2009-03-07 04:03
    Hi Guys, Thanks for verifying my observations of the problem.

>> P.J.>>> I believe the cut and past was suggested last time, but you lose the handy text color which makes the program much easier to read and makes mistakes stand out better. It also seems to want to jam up against the left edge no matter what I do.

>>Kelvin>>> I tried your propeller idea, and it partially works. I changed the margin setting from the default of 2 to 6 (what ever the units are) which was just enough to clear the paper punch holes, but when I used line numbering, the numbers did not shift so they get partially punched out.

I think the real answer is to one of the Parallax programmers to dig into the Stamp Editor print code module and see how to get margins info acted upon. Right now it is just a pigeon hole for a margin setting, but apparently the program never looks in the pigeon hole. The reason I find this to be at least a mini-thorn is it makes documenting the program in a project much more difficult. I like to set up a 3 ring binder that has description, operation, pictures, drawings schematics and microcode all in one place, and this usually means I have to put the program printouts in plastic sleeves. Not a biggie...just a pain.

Can we keep this going until we get a fix in the code. Thanks for your support.

N1HC
    edited 2009-03-07 04:11
    N1HC,

Depending on the printer being used, there may be a setting to allow adjustment of the left margin. I'm using a Canon and under it's Properties button, it lets me offset the left margin up to some number of inches. To reach the printer properties, punch the 'Setup...' button on the IDE print window.

Regards,

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Instead of:

I prefer:
    ·