Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Do you know about API's of the Basic Stamp? ( It is an unknown term for me ) — Parallax Forums

Do you know about API's of the Basic Stamp? ( It is an unknown term for me )

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2009-03-04 14:21 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

There is a word called API . It means "Application programming Interface"

Do you know if Basic Stamps have API ?

Thanks Joe

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-04 14:21
    The term "interface" implies that there's some kind of interface between two levels of a system. Usually this is a layer between what the programmer uses/sees and the internals of the operating system, the software that directly handles the hardware and some of the protocols used (Ethernet, Bluetooth, etc.) The term API is usually used to describe the library routines that provide the access to the operating system, networking, etc. and how these routines appear to the user of the programming system since these routines may present a different view of the underlying operating system and may hide some of the uglier / nastier features / quirks.

The Stamps use a different mechanism to present the underlying hardware, that of an interpreter. I've not heard of an interpreter being presented as an API, but, in some ways, Parallax Stamp Basic and its interpretive code definition is the API for the underlying hardware. It's a lot more than an API, but it does serve that role.