Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp - Car Battery — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp - Car Battery

BuddieBuddie Posts: 29
edited 2009-03-04 04:58 in BASIC Stamp
I plan to build a project that will run in the car. I will therefore try to use the cigarette lighter to power the stamp through a 5v regulator and a couple bypass caps. Is there anything special I need to know about this setup (e.g., are automobile batteries subject to many transients; do I need any special setup)? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2009-03-04 02:47
    You shouldn't have too many problems if you are using it with just the battery... I assume it isn't in a car then?...
  • BuddieBuddie Posts: 29
    edited 2009-03-04 02:50
    No, I need to use the device while the car is running - its a GPS tracking system.
  • JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2009-03-04 02:57
    I haven't done that much, but I know there are a few other people around here that can give you a lot more information then me then. I do know that cars put off a fair amount of 'junk' in the dc power. I can say that your setup will work, but I don't know if you will need anything else such as a coil to help for protection...
  • yarisboyyarisboy Posts: 245
    edited 2009-03-04 03:18
    I've been running a BS2 in my car for a year now. The regulator that comes on the BS2 super carrier board is quit sufficient to filter down raw car power to smooth 5 VDC. The schematic for this supply is on the parallax site and can be easily incorporated into your layout or stitch wire prototype. The schematic also shows the value of all parts needed to incorporate an RS-232 port. I bought the RS-232 to USB converter dongle at Walmart and loaded the conversion code into the hard drive on the laptop I use to download new programs onto my BS2. I also drive the system from the lighter socket.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-03-04 04:58
    Buddie--

I am an electronics moron. However, take a look at the end of this thread on the SX forum. The DC-DC converter I built emulates the Professional Development Board power regulation circuitry. I run it off two 12 volt, 12 amp hour batteries in parallel·for a total of 12 volts and 24 amp hours. I imagine it would work just as well on a car battery. If there is a lot of noise in the circuit you wish to power, perhaps something else or a change in capacitance (I dunno; I'm a dummy) might be appropriate.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.