Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Another RFID Question! — Parallax Forums

Another RFID Question!

Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
edited 2009-03-05 22:56 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,
I can not figure out how to use the RFID module for the life of me! I've tried every source code that I can find and none of them work!
Can someone please post a code that works for you so that I can see if it works for me? Cause if it doesn't I know its something with my connections.
Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Dan Taylor

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-03 02:15
    The source code on the product page works, so, therefore, it must be in your connections. Can you give more information? Is your battery charged? Does the red light on the RFID reader ever go on?
  • Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
    edited 2009-03-03 03:31
    I am using the PDB, which is powered by a transformer so no worry s about battery being out. When I run the program the LED on the module lights up RED, it stays RED and never gets passed the SERIN command in the program. It does nothing when I way the chips in front of it.

(My connection is: Gnd pin is connected to VSS. SOUT Pin is connected to pin 1. /ENABLE is connected to pin 0, and VCC is connected to VDD. I am using no resistors for this is that ok?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
    edited 2009-03-04 18:32
    I really need to figure this out. Can someone please help! I don't know what I am doing wrong! rolleyes.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-03-04 19:12
    Dan, post or give reference to one piece of code you have tried then we may be able to say whether its the code or the hardware at fault.

Jeff T.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-03-04 19:18
    Are you using a BS2 or some other Stamp model? The constants for the Baud used in the sample programs are different for different Stamp models. The sample programs are written for a BS2 and have to be modified if you're using some other Stamp models. The Stamp Manual gives the Baud (and other timing) constants for each of the different Stamp models.
    edited 2009-03-04 19:22
    I have tried all of the example codes... I have posted two of them down below.

I am using the BS2 model.

The connections are really simple aren't they? I have a hard time believing the problem would be in the connections.

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • MadriasMadrias Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-05 00:20
    You would be surprised. I had trouble today trying to set up a PING))) Ultrasonic Rangefinder. Turns out, I sent 5v to signal in and Pin 15 to 5v in. Took me 10 minutes wondering why I wasn't getting anything out of it.
    edited 2009-03-05 18:58
    I have went over my connections like 10 times there is no problem that I can see! I posted my connections above. I think the problem has to do with the baud rate. At the beginning of each program that I have tried is right here:

Main:
    · LOW Enable··································· ' activate the reader
    · #IF __No_SPRAM #THEN
    ···· SERIN RX, T2400, [noparse][[/noparse]WAIT($0A), STR buf\10]··· ' wait for hdr + ID
    · #ELSE
    ···· SERIN RX, T2400, [noparse][[/noparse]WAIT($0A), SPSTR 10]
    · #ENDIF

My reader can never get passed the Serin command. I am using a BS2 with no SPRAM. What is all of this line though: [noparse][[/noparse]WAIT($0A), STR buf\10]?

Please help!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-03-05 21:30
    The 2400 baud rate is correct.· Are you able to test this on another board?· Have you tried changing the I/O pins in the code and on your board?· You may have a damaged I/O pin.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
    edited 2009-03-05 22:56
    I tried it on another board and I/O pins it is still does not work. cry.gif

This time though the LED on the reader didn't even turn red! Could I possibly have bad tags?

I have 2 of the rectangular ones...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor